Contribute
Register

Fair Price for a G5 case?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Asus > Need full model name > See Rules!
CPU
i5-650
Graphics
GT 610
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac mini
  4. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 128K
  2. 512K
  3. Apple
  4. Centris
  5. iMac
  6. LC
  7. Performa
  8. Power Mac
  9. PowerBook
  10. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Is 75 dollars for a working G5 a good price? If I can pick it up for that price I'd like to make it my next project. I know I've seen the cases go for less but they were base cases.

suppose it depends on the condition of the case, and the parts included.

eg, you could be buying a scratched/dented g5, with a single 1.6ghz cpu and 256mb of ram.
the parts are going to be pretty worthless second hand, at least in the UK they are, so it might be better to go with a cheaper, but unscratched case if thats all youre after.

on the other hand, if the g5 youre looking at is in good condition, get t.

What samisnake said. If the case is in good condition, and you can part out the G5 and resell components, you could even make a profit!

roto31 said:
Is 75 dollars for a working G5 a good price? If I can pick it up for that price I'd like to make it my next project. I know I've seen the cases go for less but they were base cases.

Just to add my opinion.....if it is working then the power supply alone will resell for more than half the price of the whole unit - possibly almost up to the total purchase price ( I think the going rate for a working G5 PSU in the UK is about £60 if I remember correct).

minihack said:
Just to add my opinion.....if it is working then the power supply alone will resell for more than half the price of the whole unit - possibly almost up to the total purchase price ( I think the going rate for a working G5 PSU in the UK is about £60 if I remember correct).

as i recently found out, it depends on the model of g5/psu.

a friend bought a 2003 g5 the other day, working for £30.
the psu is 450w iirc, the lowest one, and struggles to go for £20 on ebay, often not selling at all.

the 600w and 710w psus go for £££ though

roto31 said:

I would say that $75 is more then fair price for an intact system. The only thing that would change my opinion is the condition of the case. You have to anticipate normal wear and tear but the case should not be bent and no heavy dings.

The key is "intact" as trying to find a missing part can really run up your costs (such as a missing front panel assembly).

neil

I called a local mac computer store and offered $50 for just the case and the tech stripped out the parts and handed it to me. Judging by craigs, if you find a working or even dead g5 for $75, you jump on it fast. Everything around here is $200 or better for a working one.

I just snatched up a good one for $50 shipped. Couldn't pass up such a deal. (As shipping alone is usually $50) May just have to find another good deal for re selling. :p

Well, I got it. It was a fully 100% working G5 from 2004. The case is in pristine condition aside from the normal light scuffs being moved around on the bottom and two labels from who it was owned by perviously. I've installed Leopard and it's fairly snappy even thought it only has 768MB of RAM.

I wasn't sure what version it was because it is a single 1.8GHz model with 4 RAM slots. The only way I was able to figure out it was the 2004 model is it has all the books for it coming with Panther and the single processor G5 in 04 was the only one with 4 RAM slots.

Now I am torn wether to strip it or keep it intact and wait for a reply from someone else who has a G5 case for sale for 40 bucks. (if anyone is interested do a search for G5 on the Minneapolis MN craigslist) I'm a collector at heart and if it had been junk and not working I'd be stripping it as we speak, which was the case with my "Sawtooth" build. I have a collection of "firsts" from Apple. I was lucky enough to find an original 128K that had been upgraded, a PowerBook 520- first Apple laptop with a trackpad, the first G3 tower in the desktop configuration and in the Minitower, first "true G4" with my other working Sawtooth, first Apple PowerBook with FireWire 800, first Apple computer with a slot load drive with my G3 CRT iMac (which was also my first Mac), etc. So in that case the G5 completes the "legacy" part of my "collection".

Sounds like you had a bit of luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back