Contribute
Register

[Failure] Upgrade 10.9.5->10.10 GA-Z97X-UD3H (F7 bios), i5 4690K (Devil's Canyon), GTX660

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GA-H55M-UD2H / GA-Z97X-UD3H
CPU
Core i7-870 2.96GHz / Core i5 4690k
Graphics
Radeon HD5770 (1GB DDR5) / Asus GTX660 (2GB DDR5)
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi folks,

I've marked this as 'Fail' because it seems not near stable enough - I'm a self-employed iOS dev so I need my system to be day-to-day usable.

Basically I can run the installer fine without any boot flags, and the initial boot launching Chimera off the memory stick then selecting my new installation gets me to the desktop (without sound or network). But after I run MultiBeast, no joy except in safe mode.

I'm assuming it's either the 3rd party SATA or USB3.0 issue (or TRIM enabler) that others have mentioned (http://www.tonymacx86.com/yosemite-...ot-working-after-so-many-things-z87-ud3h.html and elsewhere).

Fortunately I made a full backup of my 10.9.5 system into another partition and was able to restore using the Yosemite installer's Disk Utility.

My feeling is, if you have new hardware (Devil's Canyon CPU and/or Series 9 mainboard) and you having a working 10.9.5 - STICK WITH IT and DO NOT UPGRADE until at least 10.10.1 comes out, and/or a new version of MultiBeast. From my vague perusing of the -v output there seem to be a bunch of new security features that are going to cause us grief - suhelperd was showing crashes and assertion failures in Console.app, as well as other people reporting iTunes not working, not to mention the kext signing stuff.

If however you do decide to upgrade, make a full backup of your 10.9.5 installation using superduper or Disk Utility (if you know what you're doing) first.

Last edited:
Did you have any luck with your GA-H55M-UD2H? I have a very stable Mavericks install. Tried Yosemite a couple of times on cloned drives/ alt. partitions but could never get stable booting after install / Multibeast. Looks like I'm giving up until something shakes loose..

I would agree with you on this one. For me I went right to Yosemite because my graphics card did not work in Mavericks. So yes if you want to try to install Yosemite over Mavericks please please backup!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back