Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
MSI Z370 A-PRO-Clover
CPU
i3-8100
Graphics
UHD 630 // RX 580
After unsuccessfully installing Sierra, I tried giving HS a shot with a clean install. After many attempts, I am stuck on installing because of APFS.

I will include as many trouble shooting information as possible, but please just ask if you need more. I'm eager to solve and learn about this problem.

Attached are;
- Clover folder excluding themes. Included are 4 config.plists, but only the default is used. Not those renamed.
- Photo of /Volumes/Hackintosher/macOS Install Data/ia.log

Reproduce steps in my situation:
1. Boot from USB with attached clover folder.
2. Format as HFS, GUID, etc... as per guide. (also tried formatting as APFS)
3. Install
4. (optional, tried with and without); set time by again booting to usb, and execute "ntpdate -u time.apple.com"
5. (optional, tried with and without); running the commands to disable APFS conversion.
6. After 15 seconds of installing, it reboots, after which I boot to clover and then select my newly shown Mac disk.
7. It gives me the error attached.

After it gives me the error. I reboot back to my USB and via Terminal look at the ia.log, which tells me brtool failed because APFS conversion did not succeed. Apparently it doesn't like my SSD, which is a SATA one by the way. Samsung EVO 950 250GB SSD

Solutions I have tried;
- Using the APFS.efi from the sticky topic in this forum section. Used the 10.13.6 one, which is the HS version I have. (I think?)
- Adding HFSPlus.efi to my EFI partition.
- Formatting as both HFS and APFS, no difference
- Try and disable APFS conversion by editing the mininstall something file.
- Updating BIOS time, both through Terminal and BIOS itself. (Before this, I had an installer resources expired error, which required me to update the time)
- Tried a different hard drive, an actual HDD, so no SSD. No difference.

I am running out of ideas, and because I started to get a bit stressed also formatted the wrong disk, so my windows is gone now too ^^

As per profile; these are my complete specs:
MSI Z370 A-PRO (also found a guide for that one, with no fix unfortunately)
Sharkoon WPM600 PSU
Intel i3-8100 (with iGPU UHD 630)
1x Crucial Ballistix Sport LT BLS8G4D26BFSBK (DDR4-2667)
NO dedicated GPU (not even disabled, I don't have one)

I think above should be about enough information for the experts ^^
Any help on fixing this would be much appreciated.

Attachments

• CLOVER.zip
    2.7 MB · Views: 53
  • 20180814_181603.jpg
    20180814_181603.jpg
    9 MB · Views: 112
  • IMG2018042_4367179_30026334.jpg
    IMG2018042_4367179_30026334.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 85
Last edited by a moderator:
Bump. Still the same problem...

After 15 seconds of installing, it reboots, after which I boot to clover and then select my newly shown Mac disk.
You are rebooting the "install macOS from..." partition instead of the actual High Sierra partition, right?
Because you need to do that until this temporary installation partition disappears and you're only left with the then-updated High Sierra partition.

You are rebooting the "install macOS from..." partition instead of the actual High Sierra partition, right?
Because you need to do that until this temporary installation partition disappears and you're only left with the then-updated High Sierra partition.
When I boot the usb from clover a second time, it just shows me the welcome screen again, and the install starts from point one again. The new partition after it reboots is called Install mac from...
There is also a preboot partition which I've also tried.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back