Contribute
Register

"Failure configuring Windows updates. Reverting changes. Do not turn off your computer" error when y

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GA-Z87X-UD7-TH
CPU
i7 4770k
Graphics
Intel HD Graphics 4600:
Mac
  1. iMac
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Sorry if this has been brought up previously. I searched but couldnt find anything on this.

I have recently had failure when windows 7 tries to install security update kb3033929.

After some searching I found the information below but I'm not sure the best way to proceed. Should I unplug the OSX hard drive, install the windows update and then reattach OSX?

Thanks and I hope the info I found helps some other non geniuses like myself :)

Bob

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3033929

Microsoft security advisory: Availability of SHA-2 code signing support for Windows 7 and

Microsoft Security Advisory 3033929 Update fails on dual boot machines

"Failure configuring Windows updates. Reverting changes. Do not turn off your computer" error

when you try to install Windows updates

Microsoft has released a security advisory for IT professionals about SHA-2 code signing

support. The security advisory announces the availability of a security update and contains

additional security-related information. To view the security advisory, go to the following

Microsoft website:
https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/security/3033929

Known issues with this security update

Issue 1

Some users cannot install this security update if their computers meet the following

conditions:
Have a multiple-boot configuration of Windows and various distributions of Linux

Use a non-Windows boot loader

Have Windows and Linux installed on separate drives

We have been able to verify that systems that have the Windows boot loader enabled as the

primary loader are successfully able to install this update and that systems that have a

non-Windows boot loader specified as the primary boot loader cannot install the update, even

if the user uses that loader to select Windows.

Issue 1 workaround

To work around that issue, you can either use Windows as the default boot loader or you can

change your BIOS settings to enable the Windows boot loader directly when you install this

update.

Not sure if you are still having this problem, but I had the same issue. After reading your post, I went into the Boot Menu when the BIOS screen appeared during the booting process (on my Gigabyte motherboard, hitting F12 gets you into the boot menu). There I selected my Windows hard drive as the boot drive (thus skipping Chimera as the boot loader). The Windows updates were then able to complete without giving the above message. So, no need to physically remove your OSX drive first. Hope this helps!

Thank you, thank you, thank you

David

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back