Contribute
Register

<< Solved >> Failed to update 10.15.4 to 10.15.5: No installation boot volume.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming 5
CPU
i7-6700
Graphics
RX 5700 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Attempt to update via system preferences panel. The system downloads the update, asks to reboot for installation... But then there is no installation boot volume in CloverBootloader. There are only my usual boot volumes.

Besides, the OS boots normally. The preference panel still asks to reboot for installation. 10.15.4 continues to operate as before.

Before installation I upgraded CloverBootloader to r5118. The kexts were removed from /L/E and placed in EFI//kexts/Others. I used CloverConfigurator to update the kexts. The /L/E permissions cache has been rebuilt with Hackintool.
Attempt to update via the System Preferences Panel from 10.15.4 - 19E287. iMacPro1.1 definition. Virtual SMC. CloverConfigurator / Default Boot Volume contains the name of my main HD and it always has been. In the system preferences, boot volume, I can't set my main disk as boot volume. Error: "The nvram tool is not able to set a preference." People sometimes link these problems.

Thank you for your time. If you have any ideas?

Prebouter.jpg

Edit: One solution finally worked, it can be found here: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...-installation-boot-volume.298781/post-2135222

Attachments

• config.plist
    8.2 KB · Views: 98
Last edited:
Attempt to update via system preferences panel. The system downloads the update, asks to reboot for installation... But then there is no installation boot volume in CloverBootloader. There are only my usual boot volumes.

Besides, the OS boots normally. The preference panel still asks to reboot for installation. 10.15.4 continues to operate as before.

Before installation I upgraded CloverBootloader to r5118. The kexts were removed from /L/E and placed in EFI//kexts/Others. I used CloverConfigurator to update the kexts. The /L/E permissions cache has been rebuilt with Hackintool.
Attempt to update via the System Preferences Panel from 10.15.4 - 19E287. iMacPro1.1 definition. Virtual SMC. CloverConfigurator / Default Boot Volume contains the name of my main HD and it always has been. In the system preferences, boot volume, I can't set my main disk as boot volume. Error: "The nvram tool is not able to set a preference." People sometimes link these problems.

Thank you for your time. If you have any ideas?

View attachment 472487

The one you want to boot is install from myHDname, the reason you can't set it in the macOS is because your nvram is locked. That is why all of the Open Core have to unlock the MSR variable so you can write to the NVRAM like a real Mac. No idea why PC companies have to do weird **** like that. You should be able to manually select it on the Clover menu to boot it once.

To be clear, I'm looking at your screen and it looks like you are trying to set a default boot. You don't want to do that, you want to boot the installer only once. I'm not familiar with your Clover theme there but on normal clover you can use the arrow keys to move between the options and then press enter to boot that selection.

Thank you for taking the time to respond .
The purpose of my attached picture is to show the absence of the boot volume that should be displayed here and on which the computer should automatically boot to install its update.Launching an update always implies the appearance of the boot volumes "macOS install Prebooter from Preboot" and "macOS install from macHardDriveName".
Their absence at the launch of the update procedure is the problem I'm facing. They should be there, shouldn't they?

To be exact, I am not trying to set the default boot volume. Apparently, everything is fine about it. I mention it because, while browsing similar posts, I noticed that installations around 10.15.5 regularly have solutions related to setting the default boot volume.

Finally succeeded. I had to purge the NVRAM.

To do this, in the Clover home screen at startup, I had to press F11 (or sometimes Option+F11)
For those who would have the same problem, here is precisely what I did: I downloaded the update from the preference panel and launched from it the restart cycle to update. Opening Clover: I press F11. The computer freezes. I restart with the power button. No change in Clover, macOS boot without installing the update. In the system preference panel I ask again for the reboot cycle for this update. This time in clover, the installation volumes are present.
Success.
I'm not sure that the right boot volume for the installation was selected automatically. The installation was done with the "Boot macOS Install from MacM2" volume, but there is discussion everywhere whether "macOS Install" or "Install PreBooter" is better.
Installation screen for 14 minutes.
Reboot.
In Clover now there are only the usual boot volumes. (I thought there were 2 reboots, right?)
Usual boot progress bar then 10 minute progress bar to complete the installation.
Only one reboot, then. I hope that's normal.
The system preference panel indicates that the system is up to date. The "About" section indicates 10.15.5 (19F101)
It seems to have worked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back