Contribute
Register

[FAILED] RX580 vRam can't release cause reboot in Big Sur Opencore 0.6.6.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Ultra Gaming
CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Big Sur + Opencore 0.6.6 (same failed in 0.6.5)
i7-8700K @ 3.70GHz
GIGA Z370 AORUS Ultra Gaming-CF
Sapphire Rx580 Nitro+
G.SKILL 16 GB ( DDR4 3200MHz )
Samsung SM961 MZVPW256HEGL

My rx580 always in about 100W Power consumption(about 40W in win10). Vram is usage 95%+. It always reboot when GeekBench5 running Metal/openCL .(or open some big picture >20MB in preview, picture is .raw).
But in works fine while GPU in light use, Perfect work in software development.
gpu.gif

power in win10.gif

This card is perfect in 10.13 , 10.14 mojave , win10 running the FurMark.
FurMark.png

When I open a .raw file , vram use up to 50%, the second .raw ,up to 95% ,the third .raw system reboot. (temp about 50℃)

istat pic.png

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    1.9 MB · Views: 135
Last edited:
Are you sure this is not a software issue rather than a Bootloader issue?

Which Software are you using to open the three .raw files in macOS Big Sur?

Care to share the three .raw files so I can see if the same happens with my RX580 (PowerColor)?

Comparing how your macOS system behaves with your Windows system is not helpful or meaningful. Especially when you are referring to a Windows only stress test application (FurMark).

I had to modify the BIOS of my RX580 (MSI) because MacOS was using the built in limits for fan speeds and running LuxMark was crashing the computer: the thermal limit (95 or 96 I think) was obviously reached hence the crash!

It is controlled by Radeon driver in Windows so BIOS values are bypassed. I think the built in BIOS limit was 2200 RPM, way too low. Maybe something to investigate?

I had to use Polaris BIOS editor under Windows to read and modify the values and flash it with Ati Winflash (not sure of the name!).

Last edited:
Are you sure this is not a software issue rather than a Bootloader issue?

Which Software are you using to open the three .raw files in macOS Big Sur?

Care to share the three .raw files so I can see if the same happens with my RX580 (PowerColor)?

Comparing how your macOS system behaves with your Windows system is not helpful or meaningful. Especially when you are referring to a Windows only stress test application (FurMark).
I have find out the answer. Reboot is cause by my cpu fans, I change the fans ,there is no reboot again.
But rx580 Vram still release slow. It's will release only when mac goes sleep.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back