Contribute
Register

[Success] AMD RX6000 Series working in macOS

I am no expert at all but I can't help but wonder if OS X can run on Ryzen architecture that it is not built for then why will M1 finish the Hackintosh completely? I guess the GPU is another kettle of fish as we have seen before and currently are now, however I would not underestimate the ingenuity of hackers they are clever bastards.
There is a huge difference between patching x86 instructions and cpu features in the kernel that are designed for x86 Intel specific stuff and replacing them with x86 AMD stuff. x86 is x86, where as M1 is a complete different architect that is based off ARM that is completely different than x86. Its possible but if Apple removes all x86 stuff from the kernel, you can not add it in the way patching is conducted today.

There is a huge difference between patching x86 instructions and cpu features in the kernel that are designed for x86 Intel specific stuff and replacing them with x86 AMD stuff. x86 is x86, where as M1 is a complete different architect that is based off ARM that is completely different than x86. Its possible but if Apple removes all x86 stuff from the kernel, you can not add it in the way patching is conducted today.
I see thanks that makes sense. Will this not be problematic when developing software for ARM and x86 platfroms then? I guess it is like the old PowerPC days..... Sorry this is a whole topic in itself I should just Google it really.

Edit - Did some reading seems like it ain't a big deal. I did read AMD have an ARM processor development though which may make it more feasible I guess.

Last edited:
I saw this leaked from a Chinese forum CHH. Looks like pro version 6800XT
1617853738148.png

Looks like the big navi support is coming most likely in next beta.

I saw this leaked from a Chinese forum CHH. Looks like pro version 6800XT
View attachment 514627
Looks like the big navi support is coming most likely in next beta.

That doesn't look like it's made for Mac Pros.

The Apple made cards have proprietary connectors for auxiliary power, not dual 8 pin connectors.

Here's a picture of a W5700X. Notice the extra connecter next to the PCI-e connector? Besides, Apple would never release something with that color scheme for their Mac Pro.
MW662_AV2.jpeg

Source:https://www.apple.com/ie/shop/product/MW662ZM/A/radeon-pro-w5700x-mpx-module

I've been doing a bit more digging around, mostly as a way to avoid doing real work.

Found this from Jules Urbach, CEO of OTOY:
1617892812061.png

This is interesting. It was exactly a month before that comment from Beppe, the Octane developer.

He says "it works", which seems to imply "we (or someone) have/has tested it", and he gives a specific version number, implying a change was made to provide that support. Which would in turn imply they had drivers to test that against.

Octane X is a macOS-only product, so there's no question of him talking about other platforms, and it was macOS App Store "app of the day" recently, so it's definitely a product that Apple supports. Further evidence of OTOY's involvement with Apple is a news article by FXGuide which says "Apple has been working with OTOY to bring the Octane X to Professional Mac users since last year’s WWDC." All this gives credence to the idea that OTOY may well be getting info, and even code, that the rest of us are not privy to.

Beppe said he had no 6000-series card to test on, though also mentioned that that's because he's in Italy; Otoy are based in California and I guess Beppe works remotely. Still, the CEO could just mean that they've ensured Octane X will use the cards if they're found, without actually trying it. But even if so, could that be done 'blind', without any Metal driver? He didn't say "it should work", he said it works, and gave a specific Octane X version. Admittedly the fact that he didn't realise it definitely couldn't work in 11.2 does also throw a little doubt on his deep technical knowledge on the subject.

Anyway, more speculation, but this could perhaps be support for the idea that drivers do exist and have been tested against by some devs outside Apple. Combining this with Beppe's comments a month later we could surmise that Otoy were given early drivers to test against and were told they'd be released to everyone in 11.3, but then that was delayed without anyone informing Otoy (or at least, Beppe.)

(I wish Apple would get the hell on with finishing 11.3 already so we can see 11.4b1!)

Last edited:
chiphell.com
This appears to be some confirmation of a Radeon Pro 6800XT, but that does not mean it will work with macOS. Like pastrychef said, this is not a card specific for Apple machines.

For those interested, here's an English language article on VideoCardz: AMD Radeon Pro with Navi GLXL GPU.

From that article:

The preparation for a new Radeon PRO launch is at its final stage. A leak featuring a new generation of professional workstation Radeon Pro graphics cards featuring RDNA2 architecture has just surfaced. A mysterious new model has been pictured and the first photos were published over at Chiphell. It is probably worth noting that the even leaker is not sure which model did he receive, but it is confirmed that the card is 16GB, just as the flagship Raden RX series.

One of the labels reveals that the card is ‘Full Secure TT GLXL’ model. There have been leaks on Navi 21 GLXL before and this is without a doubt a next-generation model. What we do not know is how many Stream Processors does this variant has.

The card is also the first blower-type Navi 2X graphics card from AMD, which is kept in dual-slot design, unlike AMD’s gaming RX6800XT/6900XT models. This certainly affects thermal performance and heat exchange capacity. A cut-down GPU with reduced clocks should fit under 250W of typical board power though.

Back