Contribute
Register

[Success] AMD RX6000 Series working in macOS

Had a chat with Apple support about BigNavi support. They couldn’t tell anything:

Were you surprised? :headbang:

They were hardly going to spill the beans to a random stranger about unreleased and/or unsupported products.

The discussion is purely theoretical. Current prices of the graphic cards are crazy...I'm not sure that buying RX 5700/6700/6800XT for three times the prices makes any sense. Probably nothing will change this year.
Next year AMD will released new "7700/7800XT" series and prices will fall dramatically.
Apple will not support any future AMD graphics...iMacPro was discontinued . MacPro
will be discontinued when stocks of graphics cards run out - probably for two years.
So Apple left high end GPU market.

There was a slew of new announcements recently from almost everyone (Intel, AMD, Nvidia). What's interesting is that there are new tech partnerships coming. Take this one for instance > https://www.xda-developers.com/nvidia-mediatek-arm-partnership/
With Mediatek, Nvidia is preparing to enter the Chromebook market with ARM code support for RTX GPUs. This means that it could theoretically, also run macOS (and thus be a potentially new Hackintosh platform for us to use). Whether we'll ever get official support for RTX on macOS remains to be seen (as M1 doesn't yet have any such ray-tracing capabilities), but at least Nvidia is willing to work with a third party on the ARM platform.

Nvidia also announced they will be making CPUs for the AI and data center market with ARM based APUs/chipsets. If they enter the PC market with ARM cpus, that is also gonna give Intel & AMD a lot of headache.

The future ahead of us is chrystalclear, but Apple started selling a Mac Pro for up to 50.000 bucks and claimed it was created because content creators "want to upgrade their GPUs on a regular shedule". People who bought that machine at a very high price won't be happy when GPU-Support stops one year after the machine released. The computer is still in stores today and will be sold for many more months to come.

Maybe the kext will come when the next generation of GPUs is right around the corner, but I think we will get some new GPUs for the Mac Pro until Intel-Support is dropped.
Mac Pro owner...should sell it as soon as possible! :thumbup:
I really don't know if there's space in the future for AMD 6X cards in that machine...
...but the present is "Embarrassing":

11.3 is at beta 8 and I doubt they can hang it out much longer before we see the Release Candidate. It won't then be long before 11.4 beta 1 is released. If we don't see the 6000 series support in that then I doubt we will ever see it.

11.3 is at beta 8 and I doubt they can hang it out much longer before we see the Release Candidate. It won't then be long before 11.4 beta 1 is released. If we don't see the 6000 series support in that then I doubt we will ever see it.
11.3 RC dropped today, Release will be next week most likely.

I think it depends on what they have decided to do with their Pro products. At the moment all of the new M1 machines use the GPU on die. Either they are designing a higher powered version of that for the higher end MBP etc or they will opt for an AMD dGPU. My hunch tells me they would prefer to design their own given their philosophy at the moment.

The day has come boys....
Screen Shot 2021-04-21 at 1.31.39 PM(2).png

Now to build a flash drive...

Back