Contribute
Register

[FAIL & HELP] - MSI Z97 Gaming 5 / i5 4690k = Should have 4 threads, but only found 5 for Die 0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
MSI Z97 Gaming 7
CPU
i5 4690k
Graphics
MSI GTX 980 4G
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hey all :)
So after installing successfully Yosemite 10.10.2 ( even upgraded to 10.10.3 without hassle ) on a i7 860 i'm trying to make it run on the following system

- i5 4690k
- MSI z97 Gaming 5
- 16Gb ( 2x8 ) Kingston Savage
- GTX 980

So, bios is set to optimised defaults ... with Vt-D and CFG Lock disabled ;
GTX 980 is not installed ;
Only 1 stick of memory;
Only the SSD where the system is going to be installed

The big problem is that when i try to enter the install screen, right after booting from USB and choosing the USB install ... the second the gray screen with the apple logo shows up ... i get a Kernel Panic with the following:

Should have 4 threads, but only found 5 for Die 0

ACPI and IOPCIFamily are showing on the Kernel Extensions in backtrace.

I've tried several bootflags with no success ( cpus=1 ... -x ... npci=0x2000 ... )

So my question is ... do any of you guys know a way or why this type of kp shows up ? Any possible fixes?

Thank you all
Pedro.

Hmmm i saw that options in the Bios and was looking at it for 10 seconds thinking if i should enable it or disable it ( don't remember if it was on or off ) :) but i'll try that :p

Thank you So much and i'll keep you informed of the progress :)

[FAIL & HELP] - MSI Z97 Gaming 5/7 / i5 4690k = Should have 4 threads, but only found 5 for Die 0

So ... as for updates.

The CMOS on my Gaming 5 died or something similar. That was the the cause for the errors in the title.
I got a Gaming 7 to replace and sent the 5 to RMA.

I finally was able to install yosemite and ... everything is working! :) Almost no pain ... almost.

I had some troubles getting past the install. No boot flags were needed to start the install but i was getting crashes around 9 min left ...

So, the rule of thumb about using "only one ram stick" was one of the causes.
Basically i had to install both ram sticks and activate the XMP profile.

Other thing i had to do ... i don't know why, the installer didn't like my 850 EVO SSD. At least with only 1 partition. So i created 2 partitions or it would give me some weird freezes.

And the other problem, was my install giving the Essentials.pkg error ... i don't know if it was from a corrupted download ... but downloaded Yosemite again and created new bootable USB and worked fine.

Multibeast went fine ... but i tried to changed smbios from Mac Pro 3,1 to iMac 14,2 ... and ... no luck ... no sound and the system was kind of slow ... so i reinstalled everything and left Mac Pro 3,1 smbios.

Other problem i had after multibeast install was ... shutdowns and restarts. Restart was really really slow and shutdown was not working. I tried to filter everything it could be the problem source and at the end, i found out that was the genericUSB kext that was messing everything. So... a delete and repair permissions and voilá :)

I didn't have time to test everything as i wanted yet. Tonight i'm going to install Windows 10 and set a dual boot. During the weekend i will try to do more testing.

Installing GTX 980 was painless. Basically did all the install on the IGP ... installed the nvdia drvs ... and bammm :)

So, at the end of the day, it was a "difficult birth" but the system is really quick and ready for some testing. I got a freeze yesterday during a app install but it was before i removed the usbGeneric kext, so i guess it could be from that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back