Contribute
Register

FaceID plist Discovered in macOS and New iMacs With Thinner Bezels

Status
Not open for further replies.
The big question is: Will there be a new T3 chip to handle the FaceID or will these functions come with an A14 variant as the main CPU ? The T2 is based on the A10 processor that shipped in the iPhone 7 and as we know, the iPhone 7 doesn't have FaceID capability. Hope Apple does talk about this next week.

This actually looks better than the new XDR display and the huge old iMac chin is gone too. They could make it a 23" display without making it a lot bigger than the outgoing 21.5" model. I don't think they will keep the same base from the older iMacs though. One thing for sure is that it won't be touchscreen. Would be too easy for kids or overly agressive adults to knock it over and do some serious damage.

2020-iMac-2.jpg

Last edited:
At least 40 inch for watching Apple TV on it.

Here's some video of how the new iMac may look on next Monday:

Last edited:
Here's some video of how the new iMac may look on next Monday:

Well despite the glossy, apparently knowledgeable presentation here, all I took away from this was the iMac icon find in iOS14 Beta. It looked way too poor to be any Apple icon for an iMac. So to extrapolate a whole new iMac line from this one icon was a bit of a stretch for me. What also struck me was that there was only the tiniest of lip-service paid to any iMac being affordable for the average computer buyer. You could stick a Mac Mini on the back of a 30" monitor and get rid of the "chin" I suppose. But maybe computers you can actually afford (just!) are not news-worthy any more. It also struck a bad chord seeing Apple giving-up their oft-touted 5mm thin bezel edge and going back 10-years to a wider one for speaker placement.

Anyway, shouldn't grumble. I'm no expert so will have to wait a couple more days to find out if the guy is right, and hope the current App Store furore won't overshadow any new hardware releases.

Well despite the glossy, apparently knowledgeable presentation here
This presenter is actually from Romania but lives and does his productions in the UK. He's in a love hate relationship with Apple. Loves the products but hates their customer service and the fact that they mostly ignore him and he never gets invited to WWDC. You can see that in the first few minutes of the video.

This presenter is actually from Romania but lives and does his productions in the UK. He's in a love hate relationship with Apple. Loves the products but hates their customer service and the fact that they mostly ignore him and he never gets invited to WWDC. You can see that in the first few minutes of the video.

Ah, but he does wear a Steve Jobs style roll-neck sweater so he must know what he's talking about ...

As for the original post about Face ID coming to the desktop. That's easy tech considering what has been done on iPhone but I suspect they would have to implement some kind of camera lens cover for privacy reasons. That seems to be a hot-potato right now. And as per the plist find, what will they be doing with FaceID on Apple TV?

Going back to the reference to Apple Customer Service, I only called them a couple of times for my real Macs. I remember the delivery date for my new iMac was slipping so I rang to find out what the problem was. As a sweetener I was given a years free subscription to DotMac (so this has to have been re-2008). I thought this was great. I now had 5x @mac.com email addresses (and all the other gubbins) which I still have today.

:)

Looks like Apple will start using their own ARM based CPU in the 2021 version of the redesigned 24" iMac. At least according to the famous Ming-Chi Kuo.

The transition timeline proposed by Kuo is aggressive, and faster than some other reports. With Kuo’s bold claim that all new Macs will be equipped with Apple processors starting in 2021, there would only be room in the pipeline for the redesigned iMac as the last new Intel machine (aside from some possible spec bumps to existing models in the fall).

Starting in 2021, Kuo says that all new Mac models will be equipped with Apple processors, and that it will take 12 to 18 months for Apple to transition to an all-Arm lineup.
From Macrumors

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back