Contribute
Register

Extremely slow 6-7 minute boot time with Monterey 12.0.1

Don't think it's SE. From what I can tell, Gen4 is the SE version. Mine is Gen3 WDS50
There's nothing on it anyway, and I've got everything backed up on a few drives.
DU shows SMART status as failing. I tried to erase it in recovery and installer to try to do a clean install and it froze again. Currently in Windows (Windows shows it as "Reliability Degraded") erasing the disk and going to try again. Might just end up buying a new drive...

Might just end up buying a new drive...
Should be under warranty unless you bought it a long time ago. WD will RMA it.

Just adding my 2 cents.

Switched over from 970 EVO Plus to WD_Black SN750 (PCIe Gen3.0), and boot times did improve considerably, however the write speeds just weren't there (Read speeds were fine, at ~2,600MB/s). I Could not get anything to write past 1,200 MB/s on the WD, no matter which M.2 slot I used.

I switched out for a 980 Pro instead, and everything works beautifully, with fast boot and read/write speeds.

Not sure if I got a bad unit, but might be worth looking into. I'm using the latest version of NVMEFix.kext (1.0.9), btw.

Switched over from 970 EVO Plus to WD_Black SN750. I switched out for a 980 Pro instead.
The SN850 would give you much faster write times even if the X299 board won't support PCIe 4.0 speeds. You can still use it with macOS/APFS and not worry about Samsung NVMe TRIM problems cropping up later on. Our best choice for hacks is to use the WD_Black SN850 for macOS and the Samsung 980 Pro for Windows or Linux in a multiboot setup. Really can't do better than that for performance.

Screen Shot 17.jpg

Up to 1,000,000 IOPS (1TB and 2TB models)

Screen Shot 16.jpg

Last edited:
The SN850 would give you much faster write times even if the X299 board won't support PCIe 4.0 speeds. You can still use it with macOS/APFS and not worry about Samsung NVMe TRIM problems cropping up later on. Our best choice for hacks is to use the WD_Black SN850 for macOS and the Samsung 980 Pro for Windows or Linux in a multiboot setup. Really can't do better than that for performance.
Since the issues with my SN750, I went back to my Samsung 970 until my replacement drive comes. I went with the Sabrent Rocket Q. However after upgrading to 12.1, my boot times on the 970 are just as fast on the 970 as the SN750. No more glitchy mouse, no more freezing.

However after upgrading to 12.1, my boot times on the 970 are just as fast on the 970 as the SN750. No more glitchy mouse, no more freezing.
The question is: How long will that continue with the 970 EVO ? Keep an eye on it and report back in a few months. If it keeps working with no problems, you'll be having a different experience than everyone else using Samsung NVMe drives with Monterey.

Here's some interesting news I just learned about. Samsung switched the controller they use for their 970 EVO Plus back in 2021. Not sure which controller is better or worse with macOS. I'd like to see a comparison of the two versions when used with Monterey.

Maybe some 970 EVO Plus owners could identify which controller theirs have and keep track of Monterey boot times. The new version is labeled with the MZVL21T0HBLU part number and the old version sports the MZVLB1T0HBLR part number. The newer 970 EVO Plus uses the same Elpis controller that the 980 Pro does.

Back