Contribute
Register

Extremely slow 6-7 minute boot time with Monterey 12.0.1

so i did a test: booted recovery (which has no slow boot at all) and ran the reinstall OS and no imporvement in boot times on Samsung 960 drive so i guess the format is the necessary part which can make the boot temporarily improved.

I bought a WD Black SN750; Not the "SE" Model(which is PCIe Gen 4, regular SN750 is Gen3), since it's not the same model technically, and not on the earlier list of confirmed/hero SSDs - and I wasn't about to replace one poorly functioning SSD for another. Anyways, like many are reporting: under 8 seconds to get to the Apple Logo, and under 12 seconds total to get to the login screen. A massive improvement. Turned my old Samsung into a portable drive instead.

Opencore 0.7.5

Last edited:
FIXED: Switched from Samsung 970 Pro to Western Digital BLACK SN750 1TB ::
WDS100T3X0C-00SJG0

Went from 4.5m boot to 10s.

Things I Tried:
Update Samsung Firmware.
I can confirm as well. After switching from Samsung 970 Pro to WD Black I went from 7 minutes to 13 seconds boot time.

After switching from Samsung 970 Pro to WD Black I went from 7 minutes to 13 seconds boot time.
My approach was a bit different: I switched from Big Sur to Mojave, and from APFS to HFS+, and my boot time went from 57 seconds to 19 seconds using my Samsung 970 Pro.

I switching from Samsung 970 Pro to WD Black, and fixed the problem, boot in a few seconds, but a few days later it goes back to slow boot. I can only solve it by doing a clean install and putting everything back with migration, this works with any disk (ssd, nvme, samsung, wd...). in my case I turn off the Sip, I don't know if the problem goes there...

I switched from Samsung 970 evo to wd black sn750 and it’s night and day! Roughly 5 minutes from picker to desktop on the 970, and less than 15 seconds on the wd!
Not sure if there is any relation between the issues, but within the last week I've been experiencing random freezes and extremely laggy mouse, with no changes made on my system. The reason I'm posting about it here is because after shutting down to recover from a freeze this morning, I got a message stating a hard drive failure was imminent. The 970 is no longer in use, and the sn750 is my primary drive.

The reason I'm posting about it here is because after shutting down to recover from a freeze this morning, I got a message stating a hard drive failure was imminent. The 970 is no longer in use, and the sn750 is my primary drive.
Is it the SN750 or the SN750 SE version ? They use different controllers.

Don't think it's SE. From what I can tell, Gen4 is the SE version.
Back up your important data from the drive first. Then you'll need to determine if the freezes are caused by the drive itself or something else.

Back