Contribute
Register

Extremely slow 6-7 minute boot time with Monterey 12.0.1

New SSD section of the Buyer's Guide is now revised to remove all NVMe SSDs with TRIM problems with macOS. Remember to click through the links to help out the site. Doesn't cost you anything extra. TIA.

Should this thread be merged with General NVMe Drive Problems (fatal)?

What are you using to clone? Carbon Copy doesn't seem to work for me in Monterey.
I am about to order the WD_Black but also have an issue with CCC not cloning correctly. What was your work flow on this? Thanks in advance.

I am about to order the WD_Black but also have an issue with CCC not cloning correctly. What was your work flow on this? Thanks in advance.

The easiest way is to choose Recovery in bootpicker (with both nvme’s installed), and then install clean monterey/big sur install, then choose backup from timemachine/startupdisk, and pick your old nvme.

No need to even use CCC

Or as i did the first time, install clean and then open ccc and clone the folders Users, Library and Applications

The easiest way is to choose Recovery in bootpicker (with both nvme’s installed), and then install clean monterey/big sur install, then choose backup from timemachine/startupdisk, and pick your old nvme.

No need to even use CCC

Or as i did the first time, install clean and then open ccc and clone the folders Users, Library and Applications
I assume after I do that, copy the EFI folder from the "old" to the "new"

Booting Monterey (12.0.1) on a Samsung 970 evo Plus 2 To (2B2QEXM7), using OpenCore 0.7.4. Boot time : 40 seconds.

Last edited:
Is the slow boot issue on samsungs nvme's occurring due to updating from a current OS or also with fresh installs of Monterey?

Currently I have Monterey for testing on a spare Samsung HDD and it boots fine. I don't want to update my main NVme just yet.

Is the slow boot issue on samsungs nvme's occurring due to updating from a current OS or also with fresh installs of Monterey?

Currently I have Monterey for testing on a spare Samsung HDD and it boots fine. I don't want to update my main NVme just yet.
The slow boot is only a symptom of the underlying TRIM issue. All that I've seen suggests it only becomes obvious (with the extremely long boot) in Monterey. It's also possible that you might not experience it until after using Monterey for a period of time, perhaps several weeks, or months (depending on usage).

Whether you install fresh, or upgrade, makes no difference.

Look here to see any particular drive listed, and just how affected it is.

Cheers.

Last edited by a moderator:
I assume after I do that, copy the EFI folder from the "old" to the "new"
That would be a good assumption.

It's also interesting to note that Carbon Copy Cloner doesn't backup the EFI partition, though it apparently will with an updated version coming sometime soon.

The slow boot is only a symptom of the underlying TRIM issue. All that I've seen suggests it's only becomes obvious (with the extremely long boot) in Monterey. It's also possible that you might not experience it until after using Monterey for a period of time, perhaps several weeks, or months (depending on usage).

Whether you install fresh, or upgrade, makes no difference.

Look here to see if your particular drive is listed, and just how affected it is.

Cheers.
@BusterMachine - just to add to @macntosh 's answer, TRIM applied on the NVMe drives, so you probably won't see the difference on your HDD. You also have to enable it in OpenCore. As I understand the problem, the Samsung controller appears to have problems performing TRIM on the APFS formatted NVMe drives, and the delay got worse in Monterey.

Back