Contribute
Register

Extremely slow 6-7 minute boot time with Monterey 12.0.1

Yup can confirm, I'm having the same slow boot issues. It's not on a Samsung drive but rather a WD Green 240GB test drive - system boots off rather slow on that (over 1 min).

Btw, the article that refers to the Phison issue is here. It also affects some older Intel controlelrs >

Anyone who has slow boot times might be advisable to add NVMefix.kext to the build to help with any power/performance issues including getting a firmware update for the drive (if possible).

the article that refers to the Phison issue is here.
When I read this (Storage Section) it doesn't sound like the Phison controller is creating problems with macOS installed to an SSD that uses that controller. It says "much preferring the Phison controller." Which means preferring it to the Samsung Phoenix controller.
This is due to the Phoenix controller found on Samsung drives that macOS isn't too fond of, much preferring the Phison controller found in Sabrent Rocket drives and Western Digital's in-house controllers(WD SN750).

Last edited:
Here's additional information from Dortania bugtracker:

Please note the comment by Dreamwhite on May 21, 2021, which contradicts the point made above, re specific Phison version.

I have no way of knowing which comment is more reliable, but I lost two new Sabrent Rocket 4s in May of this year under Big Sur, Asus Hero VIII z590. I wasn't using NVMefix on the first, but did use it with second. It was just a guess on my part as to use as at that time I had never seen any lore on NVMe failure and the write ups make it sound more like a mobile battery life concern than it-will-die.

I don't know what to think but WD SN750 has been no problemo on same build that Rockets died.

I replaced second Rocket with a Samsung 980 Pro, which I just RMA'd due to file corruption and SMART media errors.

Please note the comment by Dreamwhite on May 21, 2021, which contradicts the point made above, re specific Phison version.
I have many PNY SSDs with Phison S11 and S12 controllers and they've never had slow boot up issues. Trim is enabled automatically after installing macOS, I don't have to do anything. None have failed on me yet. They are not expensive drives but perform quite well. Haven't installed Monterey to all of them yet but will get around to that eventually. So it could be specific to the Phison E12 controller and Sabrent Rocket 4 branded drives. A larger sample size is needed to come to any conclusions.

Last edited:
From when to when? My computer at left, from cold boot, takes about 42 seconds from pressing power switch to display of desktop. Restart takes longer... about 50 secs. My storage devices are Samsung 970 Pro 1 TB. Running OpenCore 0.7.5.
From the apple logo (right after selecting boot disk) to desktop - from a cold start its about 38 seconds.

Can confirm.

OC: 0.7.4 OSX: 12.0.1 NVME: Samsung Evo 970 1TB
Big Sur: <1min
Monterey: 4.5min

FYI,
i am now cloning my 1TB SSD 970 EVO, to my backup:

I'll let you know about the results

What are you using to clone? Carbon Copy doesn't seem to work for me in Monterey.
I just found this thread... Twas after I already started a fresh backup, gonna let this one finish see if it works, if not follow the rest of this guide n start over. Looks like I may need to go into Legacy mode on CCC and select an "Allow Erase Back-up" option, although this seems like it is for standard OSX installs not our hax.

EDIT: Clean backup failed. Fresh backup using guide WORKED! AND IT BOOTS in 10s on WD BLACK, opposed to 4.5min from internal Samsung Evo 970

Last edited:
Yes, the only way to copy the hard drive successfully (that I’m aware of) is to use apples proprietary cloning tool (what ccc calls legacy)

Back