Contribute
Register

Extremely laggy macos after installing win 10 for dualboot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all!

I am having a strange issue with my 10.13.6...
After days of buttery smooth daily use, I decided to install Win 10 on one of the other disks in my computer so I can dual boot (you know - gaming etc...).
Everything went ok and once the Win installation finished, I booted to macos using usb, mounted efi and renamed bootmgfw.efi file so I clover takes over again.
I restarted and as expected, my good old clover appeared and booted me back to osx as expected BUT the whole osx is now extremely laggy (mouse is laggy, the screensaver is laggy, simply everything is extremely slow like if the cpu is throttled yet there is no utilization (checking the activity monitor or top doesn't point to any cpu intensive process and the cpu is idle).
I tried to re-install the nvidia web driver (I am using gtx 1080ti) but it didn't help and the gtx is the currently active/selected gpu.

Did I miss anything what needs to be done after win messed with the efi partition? Where do I miss the point and what might be causing osx be so sluggish so its unusable?

Thanks for any help!

Moved to multi Booting.

This is interesting - I booted the win partition, and installed the geforce experience & the win driver. After that my osx become smooth again...
Could anyone please explain me how is this possible? How come, that win can influence the other operating system?
Any chance that the vanilla win driver changed the FW of the gpu so it didn't play nicely with the osx web driver and installing the nvidia driver fixed it again?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back