Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Would like to build my fist HAC and wanted some input. Here is what I have so far - still need a few goodies like CPU Fan, DVD, etc. I have several HDD so I will be using those - all SATA. How does this list stack up for ease of installing OSX? Can I use Tony's method and if so what else do I need?

I'm not up to speed on video cards - should I go nVidia or ATI and if so which one?

Thanks all.

CORSAIR XMS3 12GB (6 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop
$339.99

GIGABYTE GA-P55A-UD3 LGA 1156 Intel P55 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard $134.99

XFX HD-485X-ZDFC Radeon HD 4850 1GB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready
$129.99

CORSAIR CMPSU-850HX 850W ATX12V 2.3 / EPS12V 2.91 80 PLUS SILVER Certified $179.99

Intel Core i7-920 Bloomfield 2.66GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor Model $288.99

Hanns·G HH-281HPB Black 28" 3ms HDMI Widescreen LCD Monitor - Retail
$309.99

Subtotal: $1,383.94

If you feel I could get away with something less let me know - I know the RAM is a bit of an overkill but I plan to dual-boot with W7 and I need lots of RAM for running Solidworks.

Thanks,

John

You'll need to change the processor or the motherboard; the i7 you have is for socket 1366 and the motherboard you chose is socket 1156. Not sure offhand about the other stuff, but you won't even be able to put it together without changing one of those. ;)

Oops - had the wrong one in my Wish List - this is the one I was looking at:

GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD5 LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard

Thanks.

That solves the memory/socket issue, but keep in mind Tony's installation methods are designed for P55 motherboards so I don't know whether they would work or not on a X58 motherboard.

Also, one other caveat: Make sure you only use 4GB during installation because any more than that can sometimes cause problems while trying to install Mac OS X (or so I've read).

adamsmasher said:
That solves the memory/socket issue, but keep in mind Tony's installation methods are designed for P55 motherboards so I don't know whether they would work or not on a X58 motherboard.

Also, one other caveat: Make sure you only use 4GB during installation because any more than that can sometimes cause problems while trying to install Mac OS X (or so I've read).

Thank you so much.

I've heard a lot of good things from the board I chose but of course I'm willing to go a different route. Could you recommend a good P55 board with similar features? I want plenty of SATA and room for 12gigs of ram. Thanks.

You'll have to get 16GB, 4x4GB, as the P55 boards only support dual channel and at most four DIMMs. You could still build an X58 hackintosh and it seems like some people have had some luck with Tonymac's boot CD in terms of getting the machine up and running, although you need to use a patched kernel from what I understand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back