Sapphire 5450
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
[success]Extracting stripped M2x3 mm screw

So, in a brilliant move, I managed to strip one of the M2x3 mm screws holding down my keyboard in my laptop, thus leaving it impossible too upgrade my memory and processor. The screw seems to small for any extractor that I know of, so I'm thinking of epoxying a small rod to the top of it (or possibly a cheap jewelers screwdriver in what is left of the head) and trying to twist it out with some pliers. Any deal with this before? Ideas on how best to do it?

Drill the head off, once the cover is off you should be able to use needle nose pliers to twist it out.

lynx1984 said:
Drill the head off, once the cover is off you should be able to use needle nose pliers to twist it out.

I was thinking about that, but the tray that the screw is holding down is only a fraction of a mm thick, and I am wondering if there would be enough of the shaft left to get a hold of with the needle nose. Have you done this before?

thx

I have not done this to this specific application so I cannot say how well this method will work. You could use jb weld on a jewelers screwdriver and see how well that works for you.

lynx1984 said:
I have not done this to this specific application so I cannot say how well this method will work. You could use jb weld on a jewelers screwdriver and see how well that works for you.
That's probably the best idea. Or try drilling off the top of the screw head and then the shaft should just twist out with little to no resistance at all or drill a small whole down into the screw and then jb weld a rob or screw driver into the whole to provide even better grip... bit more risky though.

Out of interest what laptop is it that you are upgrading?

I usually just try a larger screwdriver than the one that I used to strip the screw with or I use a little locktight on the head of the screw to facilitate extra grip. I'm sure other glue or epoxy would help as well.

@rehpotsirhc and linx1984 - I'm going to go for the jb weld and jewelers screwdriver first (just waiting on a cheap set I don't mind losing one of). Already tried a few different driver head sizes to no avail.

@Gus - working on a Dell M65, and the keyboard plate that this screw is holding down is so thin that I'm worried about taking the head off the screw with a dremel, because there may not be enough height left to actually grab onto to remove the shaft. That will be my last resort move: if the jb weld approach fails, I was able to find a source for a 0.8mm left hand bit which will have a chance to back it out, and if that fails then there won't be much left of the screw head anyway :crazy:

Thanks for the suggestions folks

I don't know how big a screw you're talking about, what I usually do is use a dremel and grind in a slot, then use a flat head screwdriver to turn it. (Works great on big screws, not sure though on very tiny ones.)

Got it! Tried JB Weld and jewelers screw driver, but that snapped. However, I found a 0.8mm left hand bit (screw extractor) that was able to finally pull it out. :headbang: If anyone is looking for a site with useful small tools, you definitely want to check out Micro-Tools for both US and Europe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back