Contribute
Register

External NVIDIA GPU on thunderbolt = It works !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
CPU
I7 3770K
Graphics
GTX660Ti
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. Classic
  2. Color Classic
  3. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi all,

If like me you have switched to a mackintosh to replace your tower, but still rely on Mac laptop, you might be interested .

some of us have Hi-End macbook pro maxed out, SSD everywhere, raid array 16 Gb of ram, etc....

but if they are truly powerful, the GPU is meh! and trust me you absolutely dont want to make it work full load all the time if you dont want to get stroked by the infamous "GPU lead-free-soldering problem" AKA GPU REBALL.

so why the heck would you want to make a macbook work as hard as you main desktop station?

answer is : because now you can do this !

like all of who works in Media/video/photo business knows, 99% of the software we use is GPU accelerated.

this means that any decent quad core I7 with a TITANZ will outperform the fastest 24 core XEON with a poor GPU on many task.

that said, here is how to use the calculation power of a GPU on a laptop :

http://www.journaldulapin.com/2014/...d-with-thunderbolt-on-a-mac-running-yosemite/

basically, a thunderbolt connexion is "only" a PCIe2.0 X4 lanes connection so why the hell would you wast money plugging a 800$ PCIe 3.0 x 16 lanes video card on such a bottleneck???

real world test shows that even on a gen 2.0 PCIe X4 any GPU will deliver at least 70% to 80% of it's calculation power... totally worth it !

so basically what you need is =

1 thunderbolt cable
1 thunderbolt enclosure with an PCIe X4 lanes conexion (some cheap one are only X2) AND a 16X PHYSICAL PCIe SLOT ( most of them are only X4 or X8)
1 good PSU up to the task ( 450/600w)
1 NVIDIA GPU
follow the link up there... and tweak a couple of thing in some Kext.

and VOILA :

your laptop have a desktop class GPU and is not overheating at all.... and you can connect a TRUE 4K monitor....

with a GTX 780Ti you can playback and edit transcode, 4K raw video in première or da vinci with no or very acceptable lag... on a 2011 MacBook PRO with a Quad I7 @2,3Ghz

Hi all,

If like me you have switched to a mackintosh to replace your tower, but still rely on Mac laptop, you might be interested .

some of us have Hi-End macbook pro maxed out, SSD everywhere, raid array 16 Gb of ram, etc....

but if they are truly powerful, the GPU is meh! and trust me you absolutely dont want to make it work full load all the time if you dont want to get stroked by the infamous "GPU lead-free-soldering problem" AKA GPU REBALL.

so why the heck would you want to make a macbook work as hard as you main desktop station?

answer is : because now you can do this !

like all of who works in Media/video/photo business knows, 99% of the software we use is GPU accelerated.

this means that any decent quad core I7 with a TITANZ will outperform the fastest 24 core XEON with a poor GPU on many task.

that said, here is how to use the calculation power of a GPU on a laptop :

http://www.journaldulapin.com/2014/...d-with-thunderbolt-on-a-mac-running-yosemite/

basically, a thunderbolt connexion is "only" a PCIe2.0 X4 lanes connection so why the hell would you wast money plugging a 800$ PCIe 3.0 x 16 lanes video card on such a bottleneck???

real world test shows that even on a gen 2.0 PCIe X4 any GPU will deliver at least 70% to 80% of it's calculation power... totally worth it !

so basically what you need is =

1 thunderbolt cable
1 thunderbolt enclosure with an PCIe X4 lanes conexion (some cheap one are only X2) AND a 16X PHYSICAL PCIe SLOT ( most of them are only X4 or X8)
1 good PSU up to the task ( 450/600w)
1 NVIDIA GPU
follow the link up there... and tweak a couple of thing in some Kext.

and VOILA :

your laptop have a desktop class GPU and is not overheating at all.... and you can connect a TRUE 4K monitor....

with a GTX 780Ti you can playback and edit transcode, 4K raw video in première or da vinci with no or very acceptable lag... on a 2011 MacBook PRO with a Quad I7 @2,3Ghz

Well I guess you didn't pay much attention to that link you posted as they used a Thunderbolt to ExperssCard and ExpressCard to PCIe adapter which means only 1x PCIe 2.0.

I am using a eGPU with my 15" MBPr but only for Windows, because there are still problems in managing the display output in OSX. But you can make a eGPU run any rendering software if you get the implementation in OSX right.

This is my system (GTX 970 in an AKiTiO Thunder2 case):

[video=youtube;WOPKd-YBX_s]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOPKd-YBX_s[/video]

Check out my build: http://forum.techinferno.com/implem...o-thunder2-win8-1-[dschijn-2].html#post131966

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back