Contribute
Register

External GPU?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
So, MSI is supposed to be releasing an external GPU that works through thunderbolt relatively soon.

I am pretty excited about the possibility and may wait to build a hackintosh if it works with my MBP.

What are folks thoughts on this?

What do you think the likelihood of getting it to work this to work on OSX (either a hackintosh laptop or natively)?

Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z68XP UD4
CPU
Core i7-2600k
Graphics
Radeon 6870
Mac
Classic Mac
  1. 512K
  2. Apple
  3. Centris
  4. Classic
  5. Color Classic
  6. LC
  7. Performa
  8. Plus
  9. Portable
  10. Power Mac
  11. PowerBook
  12. Quadra
  13. SE
  14. Workgroup Server
  15. Xserve
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
That MSI box doesn't look to be expandable judging from the pictures in that article. If the GPU doesn't have OS X support, then likely it won't work.

There is another possible solution for external GPU's - Sonnet's External TB enclosure ( http://www.sonnettech.com/publicfiles/p ... hassis.pdf (PDF)). It is a generic TB to PCI-E adapter so GPU's should work if they aren't constrained by four lanes of bandwidth.

Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
I saw Echo Express by Sonnet and thought it might be a better choice. However at $799(without the card), I would rather just build a hackintosh.

Supposedly, Village Instruments is working on an external GPU through thunderbolt called the Vidock 4+. But they are terrible at communicating and seem to be at a standstill.

Status
Not open for further replies.