Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
So, MSI is supposed to be releasing an external GPU that works through thunderbolt relatively soon.

I am pretty excited about the possibility and may wait to build a hackintosh if it works with my MBP.

What are folks thoughts on this?

What do you think the likelihood of getting it to work this to work on OSX (either a hackintosh laptop or natively)?

That MSI box doesn't look to be expandable judging from the pictures in that article. If the GPU doesn't have OS X support, then likely it won't work.

There is another possible solution for external GPU's - Sonnet's External TB enclosure ( http://www.sonnettech.com/publicfiles/p ... hassis.pdf (PDF)). It is a generic TB to PCI-E adapter so GPU's should work if they aren't constrained by four lanes of bandwidth.

I saw Echo Express by Sonnet and thought it might be a better choice. However at $799(without the card), I would rather just build a hackintosh.

Supposedly, Village Instruments is working on an external GPU through thunderbolt called the Vidock 4+. But they are terrible at communicating and seem to be at a standstill.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back