i7-8700k
Graphics
Intel Integrated
Mac
iMac
Mobile Phone
iOS
Hi all,

I received an external USB 3.0 DVD drive as a gift which states it is compatible with both Windows and OSX but have been having a hard time getting my hack to recognize it. I wish I could give you product specifics, but the box itself is super generic. It's plugged in and appears in my System Information, but any disk I put in it isn't recognized. I've tried audio CDs, DVDs and CR-Rs to no avail. The eject button on the drive illuminates and ejects, so I know it's getting power. Unfortunately I've also tried the drive on a Windows machine and am having similar problems (it's recognized, 'eject' causes the tray to eject, but nothing is read).

I can't seem to find help with this specific problem. Has anyone experienced this? And if so, what did you do to rectify it?
Thanks!

Attachments

UtterDisbelief

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z370M D3H
CPU
i3-8350K
Graphics
RX 560
Mac
iMac, Mac mini
Classic Mac
eMac, iBook
Mobile Phone
iOS
Hi all,

I received an external USB 3.0 DVD drive as a gift which states it is compatible with both Windows and OSX but have been having a hard time getting my hack to recognize it. I wish I could give you product specifics, but the box itself is super generic. It's plugged in and appears in my System Information, but any disk I put in it isn't recognized. I've tried audio CDs, DVDs and CR-Rs to no avail. The eject button on the drive illuminates and ejects, so I know it's getting power. Unfortunately I've also tried the drive on a Windows machine and am having similar problems (it's recognized, 'eject' causes the tray to eject, but nothing is read).

I can't seem to find help with this specific problem. Has anyone experienced this? And if so, what did you do to rectify it?
Thanks!
Hello there.

This could just be a power-supply problem. If your drive only connects to a single USB port there might not be enough. A way round this is to use an adapter cable that features an extra plug to go in a second motherboard USB socket and augment the power being supplied.

Not all drives are equal. Apple's SuperDrive for example is quite happy with a single port supply.

:)

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z370 Ultra Gaming Wifi
CPU
i7-8700k
Graphics
Intel Integrated
Mac
iMac
Mobile Phone
iOS
Thank you for your reply!

To end the suspense, shortly after posting my question I was able to contact the company, and they sent me a replacement drive and it seems to work first try. So I guess it was a bum drive after all.