ASUS ROG MAXIMUS X CODE
CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
iMac, Mac mini
Hello,

My post is in regards to what type of IGPU processing/memory usuage should I expect to see when running final cut? Currently when exporting in FCP i get no more than 25% from the IPGU, and working in the timeline/rendering generally much less. The RX 580 seems to max out near 100% and does all the heavy lifting. Mainly working with 25p 8bit 4k GH5 .mov and 1080p Canon .mov files. No issues with playback until i get into more than 2 multicam 4k angles (1080 and 4k multicam work simlutanesouly fine)

I'm using istats menu and intel power gadget to monitor the IGPU usage.

Should i expect to see more share of the computing from the IGPU? It just seems odd that it's not maximizing the IGPU more than it is.

On a side note, Adobe Lightroom Classic CC certainly has it moments which could be completely unrelated as I know Adobe does not take full advanatage of dual graphic setup.

Thanks for any insight!

Cheers,
Sharkey

My setup:
I am running a stable and fully functional iMac 18,3 Mojave 10.14.6 and Final Cut 10.4.6 with the following specs
ASUS ROG Maximux X Code
i7 8700k 3.7ghz OC'd to 4.8ghz
32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4
Radeon RX 580 8 GB Nitro+
System Drive: Samsung SSD 970 PRO 512GB
Project Scratch Drive: Samsung SSD 970 EVO 2TB

Using hackintool (summary attached) to derive the correct Device Properties patch, I have set the IGPU Intel 630 Graphics into a headless state using
the platform ID 0x3E980003

<key>PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x2,0x0)</key>
<dict>
<key>AAPL,ig-platform-id</key>
<data>
AwCYPg==
</data>
<key>AAPL,slot-name</key>
<string>Internal</string>
<key>device_type</key>
<string>Display controller</string>
<key>hda-gfx</key>
<string>onboard-2</string>
<key>model</key>
<string>Intel UHD Graphics 630 (Desktop)</string>
</dict>

In my bios i have the IGPU enabled with the PEG as the primary display option.
I can set DVMT up to 1024mb (which it is currently set at) I've also tried 256 and 512 but with no obvious effect

It appears hardware accelration is supported as i can see from the results of VDADecoder:
GVA info: Successfully connected to the Intel plugin, offline Gen95
Hardware acceleration is fully supported

Attachments