Contribute
Register

Existing rig - can't find reference if it's suitable?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Guys n Girls. Forgive my ignorance as I'm really new to the apple universe having decided to come across from windows. I'm on a budget (student) & know my way around pc's XP onward have built a couple in the past. I'm doing my best to get to grips with the terminology of the apple environment.

I've had a look over the various sites & am drawing a blank with my setup in so far as compatibility as a hackingtosh.

Briefly I've a Asus P5N-EM HDMI skt775 built in nVidia 630i graphics Geforce 7100 chipset. Core 2 quad Q6600 @ 2.4 GHz (kentsfield 65nm), WD 1Tb hd, 4Gb DDR2 @ 332MHz.

I've searched & haven't seen anything meaningful on using this. Do any of you wizards out there think I'd be wasting my time trying to put osx on it please? Reason I don't just go ahead & give it a go is that I'd have to purchase a snow leopard disk, which I don't mind doing at all & will if there's hope, but if the rig isn't suitable I'll hold off & save up for one of the recommended setups & buy all in one go - I think Mountain Lion will be out by then anyway.

Thanks in advance people.

Everyone - really smashing site - I do hope I'll be able to contribute my experiences soon.

Ye gods!

I just did another search after posting that & wouldn't you know it I found a guy in France with the same set up......& no it isn't suitable with the 630i chipset apparently.

That's really annoying but I guess it'll make life alot simpler in the long run if I stick to a recommended rig.....just means I'll have to do some serious saving!

Oh well, ho hum!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back