CPU
i9-10900X
Graphics
RX 6800 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I formatted some drives (NVMEs) under MacOS with ExFat format, but I can't use/see them with Windows 10.

EDIT
I've just use UBUNTU LIVE to format with 4K sector one Nvme. Then I Use Disk Utility in MacOS to Format this same drive with Exfat format. ➧ It appears in Windows 10
The other one has 512 sector and doesn't appears in Windows 10 ...

Any explanations ?

Last edited:
exFAT is a file system developed for flash drives and has little or no resilience which means that the slightest error can result in the loss of all of your data. Sharing the drive between operating systems multiplies the risk of corruption.
If you value your data do not use exFAT.

Good to know
What would be a good option for shared drive between MacOS & W10 then ?
Is APFS, a good choice (with Bootcamp APFS driver on W10) ? ... I'm not sure if it's working ...
Thanks in advance

A client/server solution, a NAS or cloud storage.
thanks, but it won't be fast enough (video production) or at very high cost

thanks, but it won't be fast enough (video production) or at very high cost

Hi there.

It does depend on which read/write options you need. Remember a Mac can read FAT, exFAT and NTFS drives without any outside help. If you need to write to NTFS then you may need a third-party driver if a NAS is too slow.

FAT32 is an old format and has a limited maximum file-size of 4GB which would be no good for video production.

exFAT is, as @P1LGRIM says, a system specifically designed for USB Flash drives. It used to be very prone to corrupting data, not because it is inherently bad but because implementations of it varied. Microsoft licensed it to other manufacturers but only officially released the specification generally in late 2019.

You can use it to share data on a hard/SSD drive BUT you need to scan/repair/first aid after each session. For example you might copy a Mac file to an exFAT drive and then try to view it in Windows only to find it is not visible. In that case you would right-click the drive, select Properties and then Scan the disk for errors. You will be told there are none, but perform the scan anyway and your file will magically appear in explorer's list. When you go back to Mac run First Aid from Disk Utility to ensure macOS is happy with the drive. Doing all this can preserve data but is still a bit of a gamble. And realistically, who wants to be doing this all the time?

For video production I am suprprised macOS can't provide all the support you need but if there is specific software you have on Windows that you can't do without then you have to make a compromise - speed over reliability.

As @Ben42 says, Tuxera's NTFS driver always gets good reviews. There is also another cross-format utility by Paragon Software.

The latest crop of USB3.1 Gen2 USB-C external drive caddies do give very good performance and might be another option.

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back