Contribute
Register

Exclusive: Hands on with Gigabyte’s upcoming mini-ITX motherboards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Article: Exclusive: Hands on with Gigabyte’s upcoming mini-ITX motherboards

I'll give up those features to save $35 to $55. Easy enough to replace the wifi card and like it was mentioned above mSata doesn't work in OS X. So that just leaves the DP, which I do agree should have been on these gigabyte boards. Only a minor set back though.

mSATA works, but as no motherboard maker has made it work of the SATA 6Gbps interface, it's a bit pointless for a hack.

The watermark on those photos is pretty cool, very subtle - in the first one I thought it was part of the board! Now that would be a bit obvious if Gigabyte did that :)
Speaking of which... how is it exactly that a site dedicated to making hackintoshes gets an exclusive story on an in-demand upcoming product like this...?

Well, we're trying to be a bit more than a hackintosh site these days if you haven't noticed and we have some good connections which also helps ;)

Will there 100% be a guide for this board?

Well, they shouldn't be any different to install OS X on that Gigabyte's other boards, but there will be a buyers guide as soon as they're available in retail.

I don't see why there is so much anticipation for this board. Intel already has a H77 chipset mini-itx board ( DH77DF ) which has a mini pci-e slot, intel ethernet, sata-III *and* has a DisplayPort. I have everything working on the DH77DF, so I know it makes a good hackintosh candidate, there just aren't a bunch of guides or pre-made DSDT's for it.

I don't see why there is so much anticipation for this board. Intel already has a H77 chipset mini-itx board ( DH77DF ) which has a mini pci-e slot, intel ethernet, sata-III *and* has a DisplayPort. I have everything working on the DH77DF, so I know it makes a good hackintosh candidate, there just aren't a bunch of guides or pre-made DSDT's for it.

Because you don't need a DSDT? On top of that, Gigabyte's H77 model will be at least $20 cheaper than your board.
Neither board is perfect, but for some, simplicity matters more than perfection.
Besides, we're not forcing anyone to buy specific hardware and if you've got your system up and running 100%, why don't you post about it in the builds section alongside with your DSDT to help other people then?

You had me at Realtek.

My sentiments exactly. I was fearing for some real bad news after this article's intro, but if the only bad news that we'll have wait a few more days... hey, that's the kind of bad news I can handle.

Thanks for this brilliant hands-on, thelostswede! Much appreciated. I am surely going to get this board, as I still have a mini-ITX case sitting around that I didn't use for my last build - went with micro-ATX instead and forgot to return the smaller case in time to get a refund.

Just any excuse to keep on building...

Not a fan of this form factor, not enough bang for the buck. Pricing ends up too close to a mac mini for similar performance. Thanks for the the info, can never have too much.

Good thing that you can chose what to buy then, right? Then again, with the new Core i3 coming with HD 4000 graphics... I think you can build a pretty cheap mini-ITX rig. The other thing to keep in mind is that a mini-ITX CustoMac will perform a lot better than an iMac Mac mini as Apple is using mobile CPU's while these mini-ITX boards use desktop CPU's. As such, the Core i3-3225 should be pretty comparable to the current $599 Mac mini...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back