Contribute
Register

EVGA x299 MICRO need help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has any adventurous soul had any luck with Catalina on their EVGA x299 board? My early attempts have been met with the ol' row of + signs and freeze. I haven't had time to tinker with it, but I'm wondering if there might be another kernel patch needed (the Mojave kernel patch doesn't help)?

I've patched my bios to unlock 0xE2 write, but you can try below patch:

Comment String <-> xcpm_pkg_scope_msrs (c) Pike R. Alpha@PMheart
Disabled Boolean <-> No
Find Data<-> 31D2E874 FDFFFF
MatchOS String <-> 10.15.x
Replace Data<-> 31D29090 909090

Many thanks again for you help, Anton. I applied the kernel patch, but no luck. I spotted this same patch elsewhere for Catalina (and I see it's only slightly different from the patch that breathed life into Mojave).

Meanwhile, I'm especially curious how you patched your EVGA BIOS to unlock your MSR. I realize that our mobos are slightly different (yours is the X299 Micro version, while mine is the X299 Micro 2 version). I flashed the latest 1.12 BIOS today, and was quietly hoping an MSR option might emerge, but nope!

@normbartley I've talked to EVGA support and there is no hope they will add CFG Lock option to bios setup :(

To do the trick you need to have a flash programmer like this one: CH341A, then pull the bios chip out (it is sitting in the socket), dump bios, apply patches from https://gist.github.com/antonsemanyk/fa6c64867100605a932e471263674fee using https://github.com/LongSoft/UEFITool (UEFIPatch) and put chip back.
I've also bought another bios chip and flashed modified bios to it to leave original one as a backup. Chip model is GD25Q127CSIG or GD25Q128CSIG.
Those patches unlock 0xE2 and block TSC writes, so you do not even need TSCAdjustReset.

Hi @AntonSemanyk and @normbartley

First of all, thank you for sharing your experience on running hackintosh on EVGA X299.

However, when I followed your paths in this thread, I still couldn't boot the the Mojave installer.

Config:
MB: EVGA x299 micro atx 2
CPU: Core i9 9820x
GPU: MSI RX560
RAM: G.Skill Trident Z 4x16gb 3000

Here are what I did:
- Downloaded the Mojave dmg through mojave patcher
- Burn the mojave into a USB sticker through UniBeast 9.2.0
- Copied the EFI folder into the EFI partition (I tried both EFI-X299-10.14.5-Beta-iMacPro1 and EFI-X299-10.14.4-Release-iMacPro from kgp's EFI X299 EFI repository)
- Override the config.list with the one AntonSemanyK shared at #12
- Copied TSCAdjustReset.kext, AppleALC.lext, Lilu.kext, and Whatevergreen.kext into the EFI partition as well

IMG_0141.jpg

It's probably I missed something.... :(

Last edited:
Last edited:
@smoothmove
Just came across this thread. Not sure if you got it sorted yet.
I Just finished refining the install on the EVGA X299 Dark.Spent quite a long time working on the Bios settings and the EFI for Big Sur and I am now happy with it. You can find it on page 135 of the X299 Support page.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back