Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Alight. I'm satisfied with the EVGA brand. Yet, still so many choices.

I plan to DSLR video edits in FCPX, after effects w/ some photoshop

I rarely game. So,

EVGA GTX670 FTW 2GB OR EVGA GTX670 SC 4GB ? or an attractive alternative ?

I rarely game. So,

More ram on the card is basically a scam to get you to spend more money on it.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/graphics/display/evga-geforce-gtx-670-4gb_11.html#sect0

Increasing the amount of memory on board of GeForce GTX 670 and GTX 680 cards translates to obvious performance benefits only in specific unique cases, such as triple-monitor set-ups with 3240x1920 resolution and enabled antialiasing. Metro 2033: The Last Refuge and Sniper Elite V2 are the only games that need more than the standard 2 GB of graphics memory, but the contemporary High-End graphics cards are anyway too slow in these games even with 4 GB of video memory. In the rest of our games we could hardly see any difference between GeForce GTX 670s with 2 and 4 GB of memory in 3240x1920 and no difference at all in 2560x1440. So, purchasing a 4GB card wouldn't be worth the investment unless you've got a triple-monitor configuration. But if you do have one, 4GB graphics cards really make sense for 2-, 3- and 4-way SLI configurations and playing contemporary games at high resolutions. In this case, the increased amount of memory would not become the bottleneck.

my opinion is 1GB is enough for those tasks.

same questions for me.. which one for editing video? after effects c6, premiere c6 or fcp X?

I rarely game. So,

I want to know too! All the the bench marks i find are for video games and not for Premier or Final Cut, or any other video or image editing software. Anyone out there know?

My 2 cents: I work with Final Cut Pro and Photoshop every day. On my sig system with a 6870 (1GB GDDR5), and at work on a MacPro with a 5770 (1GB GDDR5).

IMO, there's probably not a benchmark that's going to make much difference in real world use between a GPU with 2GB, 4GB or whatever in photo and video tasks. It gets down to where the speed-bumps encountered are limitations other than graphics card, and that all the graphics horsepower in the world isn't going to speed up much. Most apps simply aren't GPU-accelerated in that way to begin with.

For instance; even with multiple tracks of HD video and effects, either of the ATI cards I use handle their share of the task with ease. The rest comes down to CPU beefiness and speed, RAM quality/amount/speed, storage speed, and finally- just plain old user-performance. For example with video editing, the main bottleneck is always how fast the user can make edits, not how fast the system can do it's job. Same with Photoshop in a lot of cases.

Mostly where more video RAM comes into play is if you're driving more and larger monitors- you can basically look at it as splitting up the video RAM between each monitor. So a 4GB card is great if you're running 4 big monitors. BUT: it's also not like just because you're only driving one monitor that it really works out to the system devoting all 4GBs to that one monitor in every task performed. Reality is: most tasks -even heavy lifting ones- are only likely to ever task the card a very small percentage of it's potential.

So really, I'd say either card -as long as it's a good spec to begin with- will handle the same tasks well and you won't see much of a difference in performance, even if you were comparing them side by side. If there's a major difference in price- I'd say the choice is obvious. Go for the lower price and increase your bang-for-buck ratio.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back