Contribute
Register

evga GT740

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am also struggling with this card (EVGA GT 740 4GB SC single slot) after buying it off the supported hardware list I wrongly assumed it would be a breeze to get going. I can't get the machine to boot properly unless I have nv_disable=1 set. :(

Tried nvda_drv=1 and ensured inject / graphics enabler are turned off.

Any pointers on a working config for this card or help getting it going would be massively appreciated.

Kind Regards

Plasma

I am also struggling with this card (EVGA GT 740 4GB SC single slot) after buying it off the supported hardware list I wrongly assumed it would be a breeze to get going. I can't get the machine to boot properly unless I have nv_disable=1 set. :(

Tried nvda_drv=1 and ensured inject / graphics enabler are turned off.

Any pointers on a working config for this card or help getting it going would be massively appreciated.

Kind Regards

Plasma
Did you download and install the Nvidia web drivers?

@EddyMac yes I did download the CUDA drivers and install them, but they didn't seem to make any difference either.
I did a re-install last night and haven't put them on again yet so I'll give that another whirl.

I guess I simply install the drivers then set "nvda_drv=1"? Do I need anything else? I saw the "NvidiaSingle" option, do I need that with it being a Single slot card?

Thanks for the quick reply.

Plasma

Ahh, that might be it then, I've located the Web Drivers and its looking MUCH better. I'm going to do a fresh install get rid of the CUDA drivers and all the other things I tried to get it working! Thanks very much for pointing out my mistake, I didn't realise there were two sets of NVIDA drivers packaged for Mac.

Kind Regards
Plasma

Hello guys,
I need to reinstall all my system and sw, due to a failure of the HD. :(
My build is limited to Snow Leopard 10.6.8 due to compatibility with ProTools HD 8 (and the relevant PCI hardware).
In the previous install I've used an NVS-295 (dual display, no fan, little memory). It was a real PITA, but after many and many attempts it was working. At this point I'm sure I'm not able to redo all that I've done 5 years ago.

I need a single slot, dual display (same connector on the two outputs) Graphic card.
So this is the big question: the EVGA GT 740 (2Gb or 4Gb) can work with Snow Leopard 10.6.8?

Thank you in advance for your support!
Enrico

Hello guys,
I need to reinstall all my system and sw, due to a failure of the HD. :(
My build is limited to Snow Leopard 10.6.8 due to compatibility with ProTools HD 8 (and the relevant PCI hardware).
In the previous install I've used an NVS-295 (dual display, no fan, little memory). It was a real PITA, but after many and many attempts it was working. At this point I'm sure I'm not able to redo all that I've done 5 years ago.

I need a single slot, dual display (same connector on the two outputs) Graphic card.
So this is the big question: the EVGA GT 740 (2Gb or 4Gb) can work with Snow Leopard 10.6.8?

Thank you in advance for your support!
Enrico

If you want a GPU that has Snow Leopard support then look here:
http://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/b...versions-of-os-x-using-older-chipsets.141225/

Anyhing listed for 10.6.2 or 10.6.8 will work. Try to get hold of an old 5000 series card. A 5450 is a really cheap basic card that would work with Snow Leopard - should still be available new.
http://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-enabling-ati-radeon-hd-5450.180817/

A GT210 should work if you are running Snow Leopard in 64bit mode.

Thank you again, Adrian B!! :):)

Another question, Adrian B... I'm sorry...
I've found (Amazon) a EVGA GT210 and also a Sapphire Radeon HD5450 .
No problem for the price: the two cards are cheap enough. ;)

What will be your choice between those two models? The HD5450 can work also in 64bit mode, I suppose... (?)

Thank you again for your assistance!
Enrico

The 5450 requires additional work to get it running properly and the GT210 should work without additional work.
Performance wise there is not really anything between them. Go with your preference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back