i7
Graphics
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hey everyone, been lurking around here ever since I built my hackintosh in October following Tony's Customac Pro 2010 specs and everything's been going swimmingly under 10.6.5 for the most part. I never figured out definitively how to get onboard ethernet working on the GA-X58A-UD3R, but somehow using Multibeast I got it running and if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Well, now it's broken and I have no idea what the cause might be. Here's a quick overview of what happened: I got a second hard drive (2TB) and installed it in my machine. I used SuperDuper to copy the old (1.5TB) drive to the new drive so it could become my boot drive. I didn't realize that SuperDuper isn't the best tool for that job, but once I booting into it in safe mode via iBoot I was able to run Multibeast on it and get it working. Except Ethernet.

So how does this affect the old 1.5TB system? I don't know, but somehow it does because Ethernet hasn't worked on that disk since, either. When the problem started, the ethernet port's orange LED was always on, solid, regardless of whether something was plugged in or not. Green LED hasn't blinked at all. I deleted the networking kexts from e/e and the 1000SL kexts from s/l/e inside IONetworingFamily that I was told could be conflicting, reinstalled networking kexts via multibeast, no avail. I tried installing the official 8111E driver from Realtek's site, no avail- but ever since trying that step the LEDs haven't lit up at all, and after a few reboots "Ethernet" wasn't even an option when adding a new network interface in the Network Prefs.

I have one clue as to the cause, and I can't make much sense of it but hopefully the answer is obvious to someone here. When I boot in verbose mode, I'm informed by AppleRTL8169Ethernet of an "Unknown hardware version ID" and told of a conflict pertaining to IONetworkingFamily, check it out:

ethernet.jpg

What does this mean, and can it lead me to a possible solution? I could buy an ethernet card and that would probably work but I really really really just want to get the onboard ethernet on this otherwise wonderful machine working once and or all. Thanks for any help in advance.

Go to the "Lnx2Mac's Realtek kext - New Installer Package Available!" thread on this site looking for the options on reseting the nic on your board or even just search on his post I see him every day posting the same instructions on how to do it in the numerous threads people start on this all the time. I see you are not adverse to spending a few dollars if necessary and if you come to the same conclusion as me namely this revision of the nic is a piece of junk (problems in both OS X and windows with it) then you may want to consider as I have getting a Sonnet GE1000LA-E from Other World Computing works out of the box with Win 7 and OS X with Jumbo frame support if that is important to you.

viewtopic.php?f=51&t=5828

The "dead NIC" symptom is quite common on Gigabyte boards... Usually, it's nothing to be afraid of ;)

Just follow this procedure:
Unplug your PC, and leave it off for a couple of minutes...
Plug and turn on, enter SmartLAN in BIOS... Sometimes this helps.
If not, clear CMOS and reconfigure BIOS...
If it still doesn't help, reflash BIOS, and reconfigure.
By this time, your NIC will probably be OK.

Then I recommend you to install my RealtekRTL81xx.kext ( http://bit.ly/RTL81xx-kext )... ;)

Good Luck !
Lnx2Mac

Wow, you guys are incredibly helpful. Clearing the CMOS did the trick, I feel silly for not thinking of that. Lnx2Mac, your driver is fantastic. And it's good to know that should the problem come back there are cards out there that work out of the box,

Lnx2Mac said:
The "dead NIC" symptom is quite common on Gigabyte boards... Usually, it's nothing to be afraid of ;)

Just follow this procedure:
Unplug your PC, and leave it off for a couple of minutes...
Plug and turn on, enter SmartLAN in BIOS... Sometimes this helps.
If not, clear CMOS and reconfigure BIOS...
If it still doesn't help, reflash BIOS, and reconfigure.
By this time, your NIC will probably be OK.

Then I recommend you to install my RealtekRTL81xx.kext ( http://bit.ly/RTL81xx-kext )... ;)

Good Luck !
Lnx2Mac

Thanks Lnx2Mac.
clear CMOS did help.
I got my friend a Gigabyte X58A-UD3R+Core i7 950 build.
I updated the bios to FE. Then found NIC broken in both Win7 and Mac.

Was thinking of replacing the motherboard. But after clear CMOS, NIC back in Win7.
In Mac, updated to 10.6.6, then multibeast 3.0.3 without network kext. Then install Lnx2Mac's pkg installer. Now network is working in both of the OS.

Wow...I have been on multiple tech forums, even VERIZON forums because I thought that the router was disfunctional. At one point I thought it was the ethernet port but I would have never thought of this. And it was so simple....I was going through windows command prompt reseting things and what not and going both in mac os and windows entering my ip adress manually...and all along it was staring me in the face..the blue clear cmos button was right there...

Anyways sorry for being dramatic but sometimes I feel like throwing my computer out the window especially when the solution is something like this. Thanks a lot for the help.

Lnx2Mac....
THANK YOU TAHNK YOU THANK YOU!
I'm going crazy for this! I'm working 4 days on this issue!!
Thank you again!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back