Graphics
RX 560
Mac
  1. iMac
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
I was trying to solve a problem with Bluetooth. My IOGear dongle worked well under Catalina but very poorly under Win10. I tried changing to another brand, but that triggered something bizarre pertaining to Bluetooth PAN. Wired Ethernet began to oscillate between CONNECTED and NOT CONNECTED, about once every two seconds. The Network Panel under Systems Settings won't allow me to make any changes. The Status note says "Ethernet is currently active and has the IP address 192.168.1.69" then it refreshes and says "Either the cable for the Ethernet is unplugged or the device at the other end is not responding".
network issue 1.jpg
network issue 2.jpg

I think I've fixed my crazy network problem. First, I removed Bluetooth PAN from the device panel in Network. This did nothing. Then I checked my unmanaged switch. I noticed the activity LED was blinking in sync with the ON/OFF behavior I could see in Network. I swapped ports. Nothing. Then I tried a USB Ethernet adapter, which I was pretty sure would not work in any case, but what the hey! Nuthin' as expected. Then I plugged the cable back into the MB network port -- voila! Networking returned to normal or at least it appears normal. I have no idea why it went bananas in the first place. Why Catalina didn't fix itself when I pulled the plug at the switch is a mystery.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back