CPU
i9
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I've read so many posts on this forum on this issue (dropping the ethernet after sleep) and I've tried many things, but I have to finally admit this issue is above my head. Some folks have said this is a known issue with this MB. I've tried different kexts (IntelMaus is the only one that seems to work), configured all my USB ports, tried using the second Ethernet port on my MB... nothing seems to rectify this. All in all, my install of Catalina was pretty easy going and most things worked right out of the box. But losing my Ethernet after the system sleeps is very annoying and I have to reboot to get the connection back again. (When I wake the computer from sleep, the Network under System Preferences shows no connection and tells me a cable is unplugged.) I should also tell you that I only know enough about building computers to get into trouble! I have a very limited education on this topic aside from what I've learned on my own and though I've built PC's before, this is my very first Hackintosh. In a new twist, now my network printer (Epson ET-4550) prints excruciatingly slow from the Hackintosh, but not any other device. Originally, the printer worked beautifully when this new computer was set up. The printer is wireless and the Hackintosh connects through the ethernet to the router. I am certain the two issues must be related.

I'm running a GIGABYTE Z390 DESIGNARE LGA 1151 (300 Series) Intel Z390 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 ATX Intel Motherboard; Intel Core i9-9900K Coffee Lake 8-Core, 16-Thread, 3.6 GHz (5.0 GHz Turbo) LGA 1151 (300 Series) 95W BX80684I99900K Desktop Processor Intel UHD Graphics 630; SAMSUNG 970 PRO M.2 2280 1TB PCIe Gen3. X4, NVMe 1.3 64L V-NAND 2-bit MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD); Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5 PCI-E Dual HDMI / DVI-D / Dual DP OC w/ Backplate (UEFI); with a CORSAIR RMx Series RM850x CP-9020180-NA 850W ATX12V / EPS12V 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Full Modular Power Supply; and Noctua NH-C14S 140mm SSO2 C-type Premium Quiet CPU Cooler; in a Thermaltake View 51 Snow Motherboard Sync ARGB E-ATX Full Tower Computer Case with 2 White 200mm ARGB 5V Mobo Sync RGB Fans + White 120mm ARGB 5V Mobo (not connected to the MB). With the exception of the 2 CPU cooling fans, the case fans are connected to the controller on the case, not the MB. The whole system is connected to a an ASUS RT-AC88U router with regular updates to the firmware. I've attached my config.plist and a copy of my EFI file if that helps.

If anyone has any new insight to this issues or can point me to a solution, I would be very grateful! Thank you. (If you need to see some computer gibberish to diagnose the problem, you'll have to walk me through that, please. I have Clover Configurator, Hackintool, and OpenCore Configurator, but I'm no expert with those tools. Frankly, if it wasn't for the good people on this forum, I would have never attempted this project.)

Attachments

• config.plist
    5.6 KB · Views: 74
  • EFI copy.zip
    12.8 MB · Views: 111
Hmmm... Thanks, theruck. I'll check it out and post how it goes. Very much appreciated!

WOW! This stuff is waaaaaay over my head! I tried to make sense of it, but it turned my brain to mush. Hex codes, and binary this and that.... I had no idea what was being discussed in either of the threads theruck pointed me to (https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-using-clover-to-hotpatch-acpi.200137/ ; and https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-patching-laptop-dsdt-ssdts.152573/). I'll definitely take it as gospel that's where the solution to my problems is. But I'm afraid if I even attempt something like this, I'll screw up my system beyond repair (at least within my limited capabilities). Is there a watered-down version of this somewhere that's in English? I appreciate Rehabman's attempt to create a guide. But it's like trying to dive head first into Quantum Computing when you barely know what a CPU is! I don't even know where to start. How does one even know what codes to change and what to change them to?

Does disabling Wake for Network Access in System Preferences --> Energy Saver make any difference?

No, CaseySJ, and thanks for your response. I already tried that and most of the other suggestions regarding this issue you will find on this forum. What I haven't done is what theruck suggested. It sounds like it will work because when you read the threads he pointed me to, you see that every Hackintosh has some customization that needs to happen: "In order to make many OS X features work well... you will always need a properly patched DSDT (and maybe some of the SSDTs)." The problem is I have no background at all in programming. I need a book open and at my side just to use the command line. So getting through the binary and hex codes is a no-go for me without some hand-holding.

No, CaseySJ, and thanks for your response. I already tried that and most of the other suggestions regarding this issue you will find on this forum. What I haven't done is what theruck suggested. It sounds like it will work because when you read the threads he pointed me to, you see that every Hackintosh has some customization that needs to happen: "In order to make many OS X features work well... you will always need a properly patched DSDT (and maybe some of the SSDTs)." The problem is I have no background at all in programming. I need a book open and at my side just to use the command line. So getting through the binary and hex codes is a no-go for me without some hand-holding.
Have you seen the build thread for Designare Z390:
All of the SSDTs for this board are supplied there and you may ask follow-up questions in that thread. Because there are two Ethernet ports and they're controlled by two different drivers, does your wake-from-sleep problem occur when connected either of the two Ethernet ports?

I did read through the build thread (after I build my system), but I didn't realize the SSDT's are are there. I will look at it again closer. Interesting that you mention the two Ethernet ports. I saw another post that suggested only one port on the Designare Z390 will actually work for Ethernet. As far as Ethernet goes on my system, only the Ethernet port next to the USB 3.0 DAC-UP port actually gives me internet. (This is actually opposite of the one suggested in the post I read.). I have the other one connected to my ancient 2007 iMac to transport files right now, but I haven't been able to get internet on that port at all, but it does work for file transfer... curious. Also, I originally thought I was losing the session (shutting down) when I put the computer into sleep mode because I couldn't seem to bring it back. But in my research on the forum, I learned that I had my display plugged into a 60Hz 4K port on my monitor and Apple doesn't like anything above 30Hz. When I tried the second HDMI port on my monitor, Bingo! I realized that the system WAS going into sleep mode and I just couldn't SEE it when I woke it up. This hasn't helped my Ethernet problem, though. I will read through the build thread again more carefully as you suggested I try to find the correct SSDT's. All good suggestions. Thank you again.

Both Ethernet ports work, but they require:
  • IntelMausiEthernet.kext
  • SmallTreeIntel82576.kext
All the SSDTs and kexts are in the Catalina Mini-Guide (ZIP file at the end of the guide). It's only necessary to review the Catalina Mini-Guide for now (2nd link in my previous reply).

I actually installed SmallTreeIntel82576.kext the other day and it through my system into a boot loop, so I had to take it out. When I installed it, the installer program even warned it doesn't work with this version of Mac OS, which I thought was odd, but on the recommendation of a forum thread I went ahead and did it anyway. I did install IntelMausiEthernet.kext on installation and I am obviously enjoying success with it. The Z390 thread has been sort of a Bible for me! I actually bookmarked it in my browser. I will look at the Catalina mini-Guide. I don't recall if I read through that one yet or not. I appreciate your guidance; we newbies don't even know what we don't know!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back