VEGA 56
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I have installed Sierra and am able to run it. Time for Multibeast. I have tried different options, but no matter what options I select in Multibeast these two problems persist:
  1. Ethernet will not work (System Preferences > Network says no cable is attached)
  2. Graphics only works on a basic level (System Preferences > Displays does not allow for any change to the screen resolution). Runs in 1280x1024px, but native screen resolution is 2560x1440px (picture is stretched on the display).
Ethernet: I'm using the internal "Intel® GbE LAN chip (10/100/1000 Mbit)" of the motherboard (Gigabyte GA-Z87MX-D3H)
Graphics: I am using a Gigabyte GeForce GTX660 OC

Any help in solving these two issues would be greatly appreciated!

And a more general question about installing with Multibeast: After installing one set of options, and finding they do not work, do I need to "uninstall" the first set of options before installing a different set of options? If so, how?

Hours later...
I've made a new clean installation of Sierra on a different drive (SSD).
In Multibeast I chose Quickstart UEFI Boot mode.
In Multibeast>Drivers>Audio I chose Realtek ALC892
In Multibeast>Drivers>Network I chose AppleIntelE1000 (don't remember which version) for network. Is there any way I can see which version I've installed?

After starting up the new Sierra installation, I got almost to the end of the progress bar under the white apple logo on black, then the fans slowed down and the video-signal disappeared, but the computer seemed to be running. What to do? I connected an older monitor with DVI-D cable instead of the newer display using the display port. Now it works - with the old screen. Network works as well. But how do I get it to work on the newer display with DisplayPort (has no DVI-D port)?

Any suggestions?

Hours later...
I've made a new clean installation of Sierra on a different drive (SSD).
In Multibeast I chose Quickstart UEFI Boot mode.
In Multibeast>Drivers>Audio I chose Realtek ALC892
In Multibeast>Drivers>Network I chose AppleIntelE1000 (don't remember which version) for network. Is there any way I can see which version I've installed?

After starting up the new Sierra installation, I got almost to the end of the progress bar under the white apple logo on black, then the fans slowed down and the video-signal disappeared, but the computer seemed to be running. What to do? I connected an older monitor with DVI-D cable instead of the newer display using the display port. Now it works - with the old screen. Network works as well. But how do I get it to work on the newer display with DisplayPort (has no DVI-D port)?

Any suggestions?

Go to Apple on top tool bar and click on About this Mac, then click on the System Report tab. Go to Graphics/Displays option and post a pic. Hold Shift, Windows/Apple keys and hit 3 it should snap a screenshot.

Thanks Gigamax, here are a couple of screen shots from Graphics/Displays. I notice that it says "No kext loaded" when selecting Display. Is that how it should be?

Of course, this is the result when using the old monitor and over DVI-D interface.

Screen Shot 2018-12-15 at 18.43.18.png
Screen Shot 2018-12-15 at 18.43.45.png

Last edited:
Do you have the DisplayPort plugged into the motherboard or nvidia card? Nvidia cars has metal. Try connecting to card and if it doesn’t work go into bios hold delete key at startup. Disable internal graphics IGPU/IGFX and select PCIE or PEG as primary display output.

Both video cables are connected to the GeForce 660 card. Pretty sure I’ve set PCIE as the primary display output in the bios, but unsure whether i’ve turned off internal graphics. Am transferring data from Time Machine backup right now, but will try your suggestion when that is done.

Both video cables are connected to the GeForce 660 card. Pretty sure I’ve set PCIE as the primary display output in the bios, but unsure whether i’ve turned off internal graphics. Am transferring data from Time Machine backup right now, but will try your suggestion when that is done.

You may also need lilukext and Whatevergreenkext in clover/kexts/other folder if they work well then use Multibeast to install permanently.

Thanks a lot for helping, Gigamaxx! I really appreciate it!

I was set back quite a bit after Software Update suggested I'd update a few pieces of software - and I did. This caused a kernel panic and I had to start over from erasing the SSD and reinstall Sierra. I even had to do this a couple of times! I suspect it was the security update that brought the system down - as the other updates were just application updates.

Now I am back to where I was - running Sierra 10.12.6, no video signal to DisplayPort after booting up from Clover (only through DVI-D to smaller screen). I did turn off internal graphics in the BIOS, but this did not make the problem go away :(

The day is soon coming to an end in these parts of the World, and I'll have to go to bed at this point. Before I do, I just wanted to thank you and also ask if you could point me to a good resource of how to use Clover in the ways you are suggesting? Clover is all new to me - didn't exist last time I did this kind of stuff (first build - five years ago - same machine). Where do I find the clover/kexts/other folder? And how do I copy kext-files to that folder?

You can download EFIMounter form this site. Basically, your drive has a main partition and an EFI (hidden) partition. EFIMounter will mount the hidden one with the clover files you need to access.
Go to top tool bar and select Finder, then go to Preferences and check the box “Hard Disk”. Now all your drives will show and when you use EFIMounter the hidden Clover EFI disk icon will appear. You can open it and find the Kexts folder then open the Other folder. Place them there.

Here's what I've done:
Downloaded EFIMounter. Made drives visible on the desktop. Mounted EFI.
Downloaded lilukext and Whatevergreenkext and placed them in clover/kexts/other folder.
Unmounted EFI with EFIMounter and Restarted computer, connected to newer display via Displayport.

Here's what happened:
Stretched picture on screen until about 75% progress bar on the Mac startup screen. Video signal lost, but computer running. I connected the DVI-D cable and was presented with Sierra's login-screen on the older, smaller display.

Do I need to do something in Clover at startup for the added kexts to kick in?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back