Contribute
Register

ESATA multiple drives in OSX (via ESATA port multiplier)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Z68X-UD4-B3
CPU
i7-2600K
Graphics
XFX 6870 Dual Fan
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook
  3. MacBook Pro
  4. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. iMac
  2. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Anybody here using ESATA connected hard drive enclosures with multiple drives (2-4) with their Gigabyte motherboard?

Right now, I just have a single drive connected via ESATA, but am exploring if using 2-4 drives access via a single ESATA works in OSX?

I know that my Gigabyte mobo supports ESATA port multiplier, but not sure if OSX will be able to see/access the multiple drives.

Anybody here using ESATA connected hard drive enclosures with multiple drives (2-4) with their Gigabyte motherboard?

Right now, I just have a single drive connected via ESATA, but am exploring if using 2-4 drives access via a single ESATA works in OSX?

I know that my Gigabyte mobo supports ESATA port multiplier, but not sure if OSX will be able to see/access the multiple drives.

Good question. I found this external case with eSATA Port Multiplier on newegg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816111480. I assume that you need something like this to implement a port multiplier solution.

Please keep us posted.

Good modding,
neil

I've been using a 2-port multiplier for ages on my Z77X-UP5 TH running Mavericks.
Have finally updated to El Capitan and it seems to still work, although I'm working through not having 3rdParty eSATA working yet (drives all come up as internal and are not hot-swappable). I also have a 4-port multiplier case (which is working fine with a Thunderbolt->eSATA box on my MBPr) which I want to hook up to the big box ASAP so once I work out the hot-swappable issue I expect it to work fine.

The eSATA problem may be related to kext loading and Clover/UEFI. Am trying to nut that one out.

I just decided to just house all my drives inside my case. I still have 6 SATA ports available (4 currently used).

Or maybe I'll just spring for one of those 5drive/3-bay cages. I have a 3x 5.25" bays available.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back