Contribute
Register

Ersterhernd's Second G5 Project

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thx JBG, also still waitin' on parts for nicks chime...

Thx JBG, also still waitin' on parts for nicks chime...

Mine took just over 2 weeks to arrive (Hong Kong to UK)

For the recording, I found that playing the chime from a proper hifi at a decent volume with the bass up slightly worked nicely.
I had to hold the recorder quite close to the speaker or else the playback wasn't very loud.

Ersterhernd,

I am getting ready to do a G5 mod project. I see that you used the Syba PCI-e card for grounding the front power switch setup.

Have you tried to actually use the Syba card for connecting external devices via firewire? I just hooked mine up (in my PC hackintosh--G5 not built yet), and it does not work in OS X. This isn't really a problem so long as it serves it's purpose as a ground.

Again, have you tested to see if the Syba card works with external firewire connections? I hope my card is not DOA. I just need it for the grounding, really.

Actually I don't own a single firewire device. I've never tried it, but like you stated simply installed it for the ground pin. If I ever need the slot for something else I'll modify the wiring to ground somewhere else.

Cheers!

Actually I don't own a single firewire device. I've never tried it, but like you stated simply installed it for the ground pin. If I ever need the slot for something else I'll modify the wiring to ground somewhere else.

Cheers!

Thanks for your reply. This gives me hope that just because it doesn't work well out of the box with OS X, then it may still work as a ground. My device does actually power up, but nothing shows up in Finder, so something is happening anyway.

How do you modify the wiring to ground elsewhere? Is it simply separating out that one GROUND wire and attaching to the GND pin somewhere else on the mother board?

I've never actually tried it, but from what I've read, yes that's all there is to it.

Yours isn't working, no FireWire ports show in sys profiler? Are you using AlohaCabs cable for the front panel?

Very clean mod. I love that you used another panel to mount the mobo and do some cable management. The use of the stock glass panel is icing on the cake. Great job.

Thx jeffball, a primary goal from the start was to keep it clean.

The motherboard is actually mounted to the G5 case wall with 14mm standoffs. The sheet metal that covers the cabling was cut to size to butt up to the edges of the motherboard. Took some careful measuring but worked out well.

Cheers!

I've never actually tried it, but from what I've read, yes that's all there is to it.

Yours isn't working, no FireWire ports show in sys profiler? Are you using AlohaCabs cable for the front panel?

I don't have AlohaCab's cable yet---it's on its way. I received the PCIe card first so I just dropped it into my Hack to see if it worked.

I have a FireWire 800 cable for my external seagate hard drive and I connected it to the Syba card.

In System Information, under Firewire, it simply says 'Speed up to 800mbps' or something similar---very minimal verbage. Without the card, it says no device attached, so OS X does detect it. The drive powers up when plugged in.

But it isn't readable in OS X. Finder does not give me access to it.

Others in these forums who have this card have complained of similar behavior. It must not be compatible with 10.8.

You mentioned that your G5 case is 'late 2005'. How did you manage to get Alohacab's cable to work? He claims that his cable will only work with 2004 and early 2005 cases. He says that Apple changed the front panel thing for the late '05 edition.

How did you mount the rear fan assembly to the front of the case? Any drilling of holes involved?

Where did you get your G5 cases? They look really clean. I'm completely jealous.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back