Contribute
Register

Ersterhernd's NUCiMac G4

Status
Not open for further replies.
The NUCiMac is now updated to OSX 10.9 Mavericks. Note that I started with a fully functional OSX 10.8.5 Mtn Lion install, only missing the supplemental update. The i3 NUC in this system only has one mSATA SSD total size of 256 GB, divided into two equal 128GB partitions. Here's the steps I used to do it.

1. Backup of 10.8.5 to 2nd partition using SuperDuper.
2. Create bootable Mavericks USB stick with UniBeast.
3. Replace S/L/E AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext on USB stick with patched one.
4. Put NUC DSDT.aml into /Extra folder on USB. (Use ShowAllFiles to display hidden folders)
5. Download MultiBeast 6.0, Chimera 2.2.1 and Chameleon svn 2266 to partition two.
6. Install Chimera onto 2nd partition to make it bootable.
7. Boot to Mavericks USB stick, no kernel flags needed.
8. Install Mavericks as an Update to 10.8.5 on Partition One. No Erase required.
9. Restart to partition two, 10.8.5 Mtn Lion. (unplug the USB stick first)
10. Using MultiBeast 6.0 apply necessary patches to Mavericks as follows...
a) TrimEnabler 10.9 Patch
b) FakeSMC and plugins
c) Hnak's Network driver
d) AppleIntelCpuPowerManagement.kext for OSX 10.9
11. Install Chimera 2.2.1 to Mavericks Partition One
12. Install Chameleon svn 2266 (bootloader and FileNVRAM option) to Mavericks Partition
(Step 12 is for proper iMessage activation & functionality)
13. Restart to Mavericks Partition. Enjoy!

Everything works on my iMac G4, including sleep and rewake. It takes longer for the machine to go to sleep than it did on 10.8.5, perhaps 15 to 20 secs on Hibernate 0 mode. For iMessage to work, I had to log in to Apple's site and change my password.

Prior to using this method, I tried a base install too, using Migration Assistant to bring my Apps and Settings over from my backed up 10.8.5 Mtn Lion. Unfortunately doing it this way was unsuccessful because Sleep did not work properly. The system rewoke to a black screen and dead OS. Using the update method, leaving the Current 10.8.5 install on partition One (without Erase) was the only way I could get full functionality including sleep. Of course the results of others may vary.

IMG_4383.JPG

IMG_4385.JPG

*** STEPS 9, 10, 11, 12 FROM ABOVE HAPPEN INBETWEEN THESE TWO PHOTOS ***

IMG_4386.JPG

IMG_4390.JPG

Ersterhernd

Hi
Thank you for your updating my intel nuc´s imac. i will try it today.
One question. From where did you get the NUC DSDT.aml?
Thanks

Hello docf, I used MacIASL to extract it and edit it. Took just a few minutes. What BIOS are you using? Perhaps I can post mine if its the same, but its worth learning to use MacIASL if you haven't done so already.

Cheers!

Hello ersterhernd

Thank you for your reply
Thanks to your method i got mavericks to work on my imac G4.
I use the bios version 0028 on my little board.
Do i have any advantages if i use the newest version 0042?
I don´t know much about using hackintosh. Normally i use only mac´s but for this project i have to use it.
My DSDT file is one which i downloaded from the internet.
I would take a look at MacIASL. Thank´s for the hint.

Cheers

Hi MrDale, I'm sorry I never put together a comprehensive list. There was so many different elements to this build over the others I've done that it would've been a very long list.

Many of the cables/connectors for project will depend on your final planned configuration. I'd recommend carefully planning each and every component of the build and the required parts for each. After your NUC arrives and you purchase a G4 iMac, the vision becomes much clearer. Get the iMac gutted out and you'll see. It wasn't until that point that I began to plan my strategy and order the parts.

Just to let you know, my final product (2 NUCiMacs) took about 3 months to totally finish, because MacTester introduced me to the Picaxe controller. This added an element to the mods that opened up possibilites not previously imagined; namely the PWM case fan control, PWM pulsing LED for sleep, and PWM touch sensor LCD dimming control.

I will tell you that this is actually much more a wiring project than a modding project. Planning the wiring scheme with extensive detail is paramount in the success of the iMac G4 project.

Good Luck! Looking fwd to seeing your work.

Cheers!

The picopsu I used is the 120-wi-25. You will however, need to take further steps with powering the 20" model because the backlights require 24V, not 12V as the 17" version does. I can't help you with that as I've never done it. Some form of upconverter will be required, or the original PSU utilized in some fashion.

Cheers,

Ersterhernd

After some more reading, I'm going to make an unholy amalgam of your's and dremeljunkie's builds. Try and use the internal PSU with the picoPSU and a 19V upconverter. With teh bonus that I'll have an optical drive.

Any words of advice?

Well see how it goes.

Wow, that's one AMBITIOUS project! Space usage will be of paramount importance.

Good Luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back