Contribute
Register

Ersterhernd's NUCiMac G4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow! This is a killer mod, great job! :headbang::ugeek::clap:

As I previously posted in this thread, I bought a 2nd non-working iMac G4 to get some extra wires for the LCD that I needed. It came with the bowling ball style Apple Pro Speakers too. I took out whatever else I may have a chance of using in the future, leaving only the dome and the screen.

It seemed like a huge waste of a G4 to simply toss the case away, so I made a nice enhancement to my office with it. Cost??? Zero, as it fit my existing desk lamp perfectly.

See what you think... I rather like it!

1pqs.jpg

Ersterhernd

Sweet lamp! Oh, and awesome job with the iMac too!

Made a few enhancements to the rear I/O today, to finish it off aesthetically. I also added an external antenna in the original modem port. Here's the details of the now completed rear I/O on the NUCiMac...

Original Video Port ---> Added a Cover Plate
Extra original USB ---> Added a Cover Plate
Original Modem ---> External Antenna for WiFi or Bluetooth
Original Audio In ---> Reset Button

Here is a couple of the photos of the repurposed original Modem port converted into an external antenna port

IMG_4039.JPG

IMG_4037.JPG

Here's the completed rear I/O. All ports are either repurposed or covered over.

Straight-On View

IMG_4049.JPG

Left View

IMG_4044.JPG

Right View

IMG_4042.JPG

Labeled photo of the repurposed rear I/O

jn52.jpg

Ersterhernd

I added a protective cover for the PicoPSU today to prevent any possibility of a short. I used a piece of heavy plastic paper from one of my G4 Cube PSU's. If its good enough to protect in an original Apple Cube PSU, it'll be good enough for this Pico.

Before protective cover

IMG_4016.JPG

After protective cover added

IMG_4041.JPG

Ersterhernd

Hi Ersterhernd!

Incredible and ambitious project! :thumbup: Where are you take from the time for so many projects??

Last week I've found this iMac mod: (in german) http://www.brennecke.org/?page_id=562
It could be interesting for you. Especially the realization of a Mac-Like "pulsing" standby LED. He made a custom circuit to realize this function. The LED stays on, if the computer is on and pulsates, if only 5V SB comes from an USB port

MacTester

Hi Mactester, yes this has been ambitious, definitely challenging to say the least.

I discovered tonight that the LED power inidicator in this screen isn't working. I looked back at photos I took of it running as original, and no LED light. :(

I have an extra one that I tested as working from the scrap iMac G4 I bought, but at this point dont want to tear the LCD apart to replace it.

Thx for the link anyway. I may use it later. Just waiting for a short 12" HDMI cable, then this thing will be done!

Cheers!

ersterhernd - another great project well documented. You set a very high standard for the rest of us to live up to. I have been so focused on my own problems/projects that this one escaped my attention until today. Your documentation is so good that I have the urge to pick up an iMac and get busy (I am going to resist as I have G5 PMs to work on).

Good hacking,
neil

Neil and MacTester, I'd be very interested to see your approach to the iMac. I'm Certain that the results would be outstanding.

The Intel NUC really made this possible. I think you'd both really like working with it.

Cheers!

Neil and MacTester, I'd be very interested to see your approach to the iMac. I'm Certain that the results would be outstanding.

The Intel NUC really made this possible. I think you'd both really like working with it.

Cheers!

One question: There is a version of the NUC that has an i5 CPU and with my addiction, "bigger is better", did you consider that one? Or in other words, why the i3 when there is an i5 NUC.

neil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back