Contribute
Register

Ersterhernd's NUCiMac G4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would it be possible for me to route an antenna out of an empty rear IO port? I don't mind having an antenna sticking out the back of the computer. I figure I can just tape it to the base, so that it doesn't get in the way... Would this be possible? Also I'm not getting my NUC until July, so I'm not even thinking about that yet... I do not want to put down money on something I don't know that I can complete.

Just wondering if you saw this post...

Hi J, I wouldn't do it that way because you need two antenna wires not one. My first 17" iMac has the two antennas from the Intel NUC case mounted along the bottom vents of the dome. Reception is adequate.

A cleaner solution without any aesthetic penalty. If you really need lots of network speed, wire up the Ethernet port.

Just my 2c. Once you begin your work, you probably won't be happy with any compromise of how it looks.

Ersterhernd

Hi J, I wouldn't do it that way because you need two antenna wires not one. My first 17" iMac has the two antennas from the Intel NUC case mounted along the bottom vents of the dome. Reception is adequate.

A cleaner solution without any aesthetic penalty. If you really need lots of network speed, wire up the Ethernet port.

Just my 2c. Once you begin your work, you probably won't be happy with any compromise of how it looks.

Ersterhernd

Wires coming out of the back I don't mind. I do need good WiFi reception however as this machine will be nowhere near any Ethernet ports. It will also be far away from a router. If the antennae came out the front I may have thought differently, however in the back they would go virtually unseen, so I wouldn't mind. I do not want to take apart the faraday cage. When I start my mod in a few months I'll think about it more.

Hello Ersterhernd.

I've been reading about all your mods (Cube, iMacs, ... ) really outstanding!

It makes me want to also mod a G4. Someone near to my location is giving away just the "base" of the iMac, no neck/screens, so wanted to make it like a Mac Mini / media center with a TV.

I got a few questions, unfortunately!
I'm a student and have no big experience in electronics :D

I want a fan on top (like you did), but can't understand how it will be controlled, turned on and off.

Also I don't get how to connect the picoPSU and the NUC PSU together to the original 19v, can you help me to understand it?

Thank you

I want a fan on top (like you did), but can't understand how it will be controlled, turned on and off.

Also I don't get how to connect the picoPSU and the NUC PSU together to the original 19v, can you help me to understand it?

Thank you

Hello Barenhvrd, the fans in my iMac G4s are controlled by a Picaxe Microcontroller, but this is only to totally silence the machines and isn't absolutely necessary. The included Ultra-Low Noise Adapter with the Noctua NF-B9 (link here) will allow simple connection to 12V and GND on the PicoPSU to give a nearly completely silent fan. Voltage is reduced enough to slow the fan to a very quiet speed by simply plugging the ULNA into the 12V line.

The NUC 65W PSU has a single 19V line with a 5.5/2.5mm male plug on the end. Only about 12 inches of this line is needed to reach the NUC, so this is what I did...

1) Cut the cable off about 12" from the NUC.
2) Cut 12" piece off of that piece of cable.
3) Strip both ends back about 3" on the piece in (2)
Note: The inner wire is hot, the outer silver shielding is the GND, careful not to strip it off.
4) Strip the end back 3" on the cable attached to the NUC.
5) Strip end back 3" on the cable with the 5.5/2.5 plug on it
6) Twist all silver shielding (on all ends) tightly into a single larger strand for soldering
7) Solder hot centre wire on 5.5/2.5 and extra piece to the hot wire attached to NUC
8) Tape the hot wires to insulate from short.
9) Solder the twisted silver shields from the 5.5/2.5 and extra piece to the twisted GND of NUC
10) Tape the GND wires to insulate from short
11) Cut off and strip the black/white wires from the PicoPSU
12) Solder the remaining end from the extra cable (Center hot wire to white, Silver shield to black) on the PicoPSU.

Hope this helps.

Cheers!

Hello Barenhvrd, [..]Hope this helps.

Cheers!

Thank you for this detailed guide!

I just received the "case" today, and unfortunately it is really empty.

For the original power button, as the motherboard isn't included, what do you think i'll need to make it work with standard motherboard?

IMG_20140421_150838.jpg

I saw this 18344E144AF97814A3A317

Also I'm at this point where I am considering Mini ITX vs NUC, for "real" CPU cooler and for better Macx86 compatibility, plus all the aspect of an Mini ITX (fan support, connectivity, ...)
(cf 146D6D104AF9769D713BD0)

Mini ITX would be really hard I think but doable.

What do you think?

[Pictures source: http://blugray.tistory.com/ ]

Thank you for this detailed guide!

I just received the "case" today, and unfortunately it is really empty.

For the original power button, as the motherboard isn't included, what do you think i'll need to make it work with standard motherboard?

View attachment 90137

I saw this 18344E144AF97814A3A317

Also I'm at this point where I am considering Mini ITX vs NUC, for "real" CPU cooler and for better Macx86 compatibility, plus all the aspect of an Mini ITX (fan support, connectivity, ...)
(cf 146D6D104AF9769D713BD0)

Mini ITX would be really hard I think but doable.

What do you think?

[Pictures source: http://blugray.tistory.com/ ]

Any cheap switch from China will work, you can get them in 5 packs for a couple of dollars. Mounting the rear ports is going to be difficult without a G4 logic board. Maybe you can get a failed one on the cheap from eBay or something. The USB ports need to be able to withstand the force of plugging in, and the logic board is a great mounting surface as it is secured with bolts to the base.

MiniITX I cannot advise you on, but its been done on this forum before. For your external video (I'm assuming HDMI) I would consider using the 2 firewire ports combined into one horizontal HDMI port. That'd give you a clean solution.

Good Luck...

Ersterhernd

Yes it will be difficult without the motherboard, found one on ebay for 30£. I think it will be better to try other (cheaper) solutions first (acrylic plate..?)

Yes HDMI connector via the FireWires ports is also what I thought, thanks!

I don't know if I should start my own thread or keep posting next questions here?

I think i'm gonna go with the NUC i5 instead of an ITX, because of the size

A fresh new iMac thread is always welcome on this board... be sure to include lots of photos and details of your rationale.

Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back