Ersterhernds iMac G5 (iSight 20 A1145) Project

Discussion in 'iMac Mods' started by ersterhernd, Mar 23, 2014.

1. ersterhernd

ersterhernd

Mobo:
    MSI Z77MA-G45
    CPU:
    i7-3770k @ 4.3 GHz
    Graphics:
    Gigabyte R9 280X Windforce 3GB
    Mobile Phone:
    Android
    Feb 7, 2016 at 9:38 PM #71
    ersterhernd

ersterhernd

Mobo:
    MSI Z77MA-G45
    CPU:
    i7-3770k @ 4.3 GHz
    Graphics:
    Mobile Phone:
    Android
    My TMDS iMacs are all working like a dream after nearly 2 years of daily use. I cannot see any personal reason to pursue tackling an LVDS iMac when many TMDS units regularly appear for sale. That said, I'd sure be interested to see somebody else find success with one.

Cheers!

2. colingmo

colingmo

Mobo:
    GIGABYTE GA-G31M-ES2L
    CPU:
    Intel Q8200
    Graphics:
    GeForce GT 610
    Mac:
    iMac, MacBook
    Mobile Phone:
    iOS
    Jan 6, 2017 at 8:11 PM #72
    colingmo

colingmo

Mobo:
    GIGABYTE GA-G31M-ES2L
    CPU:
    Intel Q8200
    Graphics:
    GeForce GT 610
    Mac:
    iMac, MacBook
    Mobile Phone:
    iOS

Hi Ersterhernd
    I have been following your G5 iMac builds with great interest and in particular your iSight G5 iMac build, your attention to detail is amazing. I recently obtained both a G5 iMac and a G5 iSight iMac for £15.00 off Gumtree, the G5 Imac had a cracked case and no PSU but the G5 iSight case was perfect after and good clean. The iSight iMac screen was damaged so after swapping the screens (both were LG LM201W01) and a new PSU mains input bridge rectifier and 4A fuse…

IMG_0472.JPG

…the iMac G5 iSight was up and running. I wanted to fully test the display, and fans etc were all working before stripping…

IMG_0479.JPG

I have progressed an little and are at the point of installing the INTEL NUC DC3217BY…

IMG_0492.JPG

I plan to retain the DVD ROM burner, inverter and the now repaired PSU, the PSU looks good with no bulging caps or burnt components…

IMG_0468.JPG

In your iSight build you retain a large portion of the logic board (on the right) whereas I plan to dremel most of this board away and only retain the I/O portion of this board, is this O.K?. I would like to keep as much of the functionality of the iMac as possible so would like to keep the Ethernet, mic input, headphone output and 3 x USB 2.0. ports. The NUC requires 19V DC which I can supply via a 12v to 19v upverter…

Screen_Shot.png

Any advice and encouragement would be most welcomed.

Attached Files:

• IMG_0472.JPG  (2.8 MB, 25 views)
  3. ersterhernd

ersterhernd

Mobo:
    MSI Z77MA-G45
    CPU:
    i7-3770k @ 4.3 GHz
    Graphics:
    Mobile Phone:
    Android
    Jan 7, 2017 at 2:26 PM #73
    ersterhernd

ersterhernd

Mobo:
    MSI Z77MA-G45
    CPU:
    i7-3770k @ 4.3 GHz
    Graphics:
    Mobile Phone:
    Android
    Hi colingmo,

Its great to see another iMac project beginning after a long period of the 'doldrums' on this forum. The iSight 20" is a real challenge because it is VERY shallow in depth, but makes a terrific mod, ours is still used every day nearly 3 years after completion. It uses the same Intel NUC as you've selected.

A few pointers for you as you commence...

1. Measure the Depth of your mod continuously as you work to make sure it closes. This is extremely important.

2. You will need to keep 2 cutouts of the Apple Logic board to achieve:
    a) Native I/O on the rear (NOTE: I could NOT get the iMac ethernet port to work)
    b) The iMac power button and LED.

3. There are 2 variants of the upconverter you pictured, get the SMALL one, not the one above.

4. You will have a challenge turning the native PSU on and off. A couple of years ago I spent considerable time figuring out how to do it. Have a careful read of this post before you get much farther. I have only seen a single PSU used in concert with a micro-controller to handle the on/off function. To date, I have not seen the linked method used successfully, albeit I believe it is entirely possible if implemented correctly.

5. Take your time with each and every step, especially when testing power, as its easy to burn parts with a simple error. Enjoy the entire project regardless of the hurdles you will face.

Also, start your own thread so we can all follow your progress. Good Luck!

Cheers!

Ersterhernd

4. colingmo

colingmo

Mobo:
    GIGABYTE GA-G31M-ES2L
    CPU:
    Intel Q8200
    Graphics:
    GeForce GT 610
    Mac:
    iMac, MacBook
    Mobile Phone:
    iOS
    Jan 8, 2017 at 2:07 PM #74
    colingmo

colingmo

Mobo:
    GIGABYTE GA-G31M-ES2L
    CPU:
    Intel Q8200
    Graphics:
    GeForce GT 610
    Mac:
    iMac, MacBook
    Mobile Phone:
    iOS

Thanks Ersterhernd for the advice and your pointers. Your correct, you need to be millimeter perfect to get everything to fit into the case. It's looking like your power arrangment using the existing PSU and inverter at this link is worth testing on my 20" iMac, I'll let you know how I get on, also your 14pin motherboard plug assignments detailed in the link are spot on. I plan to dig a little deeper into using the ethernet and audio sockets, time will tell if I can get them to work. Didn't know there were two sizes of upverter, thank's for the advice, back to work!

5. colingmo

colingmo

Mobo:
    GIGABYTE GA-G31M-ES2L
    CPU:
    Intel Q8200
    Graphics:
    GeForce GT 610
    Mac:
    iMac, MacBook
    Mobile Phone:
    iOS
    Jan 25, 2017 at 10:09 PM #75
    colingmo

colingmo

Mobo:
    GIGABYTE GA-G31M-ES2L
    CPU:
    Intel Q8200
    Graphics:
    GeForce GT 610
    Mac:
    iMac, MacBook
    Mobile Phone:
    iOS

Thanks again for the advice, I have started my own thread, comments and advice appreciated.