Contribute
Register

Ersterhernds iMac G5 20 Inch A1076 Project

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it was

Grey to red
Brown to shield

Its a straight connection right, nothing in between? The sound input from the mic is so faint, I need to boost decibel all the way up to get any input. Something isn't right. Wish I had another of these mic's around to see if its actually the mic the issue.
BTW forgot to mention. Remember that pin on the LVDS connector I figure to be the brightness line? Well guess what I have some brightness control. Its very limited. It dims only about 1/4 when its all the way down. If you then take the slider all the to end, screen starts to flicker. Maybe a better backlight kext will do the trick. First need to figure out this mic issue. Any ideas let me know.

Its a straight connection right, nothing in between? The sound input from the mic is so faint, I need to boost decibel all the way up to get any input. Something isn't right. Wish I had another of these mic's around to see if its actually the mic the issue.
BTW forgot to mention. Remember that pin on the LVDS connector I figure to be the brightness line? Well guess what I have some brightness control. Its very limited. It dims only about 1/4 when its all the way down. If you then take the slider all the to end, screen starts to flicker. Maybe a better backlight kext will do the trick. First need to figure out this mic issue. Any ideas let me know.

Make sure the mic is located in its original location. I've never had any issue with it. Have beta tested the new Siri Feature in Sierra with it and works terrific with a normal talking voice level.

Great news on the software controlled brightness, albeit not totally accurate. Thats one feature that my builds will never have.

Are you having fun yet? Great work so far.

Are you having fun yet?
Totally, like you the joy is making work again. I can buy a new one today. No fun in that.
Still need to sort some things out. Ive had bad luck with these cheap chinese parts. It seems i have a bad usb audio adapter 3.5mm female ports. Only 4 poles jacks are retained. Any other they are not seating right. Some of these 4 poles have theses super thin wires inside plastic hair fibers. No luck in getting a good connection. Need to find a 4 pole connector with real wires.
Im also having power draw issues. Both oem fans cant run together. Sometimes they do. Weird have all right voltages. Split 3V, 12V, and gnd from psu into them. One fan goes. The other jerks. Needs a push, and when i help it spin with my finger it goes, but other than slow a bit. Sometimes both dont start. Then one starts. Almost as if the MB is controlling them. o_O My usb splitter didnd work. Didnt see my flash drive while having audio usb in. U think if i take a 5V from psu and give it to one may resolve that?

Well happy to say I'm done with my first mod. I sorted out all the bugs, and now have a fully functional iMac :headbang:. In fact writing this on it. I packed in 3 drives in it. I even got BT working on it but since its on a USB bus its not stable. I'm thinking of doing a small write up thread on it. Thanks for the thread, inspiration, and help. Geez, already looking to do another.:lol:

This build uses a BCM94322HM8L Broadcom WiFi mini PCI-E card. The antennas used are genuine Apple parts from a 24" White iMac.
Ersterhernd, any reason you did not use the antennas that came with the 20" iMac? I'm having a 2.4GHz issue with my wifi card now that I moved the iMac to its use location. It has trouble connecting to that band unless your close to router. I'm using the original antennas.

Ersterhernd, any reason you did not use the antennas that came with the 20" iMac? I'm having a 2.4GHz issue with my wifi card now that I moved the iMac to its use location. It has trouble connecting to that band unless your close to router. I'm using the original antennas.

If I recall it was a length issue.

Im begining to think the oem antennas on the imac are not that good unless perhaps paired with oem card, or maybe the modding has created some internal interferences. I swapped another wifi card in there with same results. Once closed and up a floor, signal is very weak. How far are you from your router? When i tried the laptop antenna signal was strong, although imac was not closed or floor up. I may have to look for a mod there.

Dear Ersterhernd,

I love your work:clap:, especially this one as it's the iMac I used when I was a teen. It is also the Mac that had a big layer of dust on it haha. But you inspired me and I started on this project.
At first I used the same hdmi connector as you did, but I had to resolder it a few times before it worked properly. It worked for a couple of days and it broke again.
So I tried a different approach, I just used an old hdmi cable and a little soldering board. Well this worked a lot better for me, as I was really done with the tiny wires so close to each other:lol:.
I was very busy so I stopped working on this project for a few days. Then I tried to use the LCD and it doesn't work anymore, BUT this time the pc recognizes the display just fine as if it is working. But no image on the screen, absolutely nothing. I resoldered it again, same thing:banghead:. A few pins still have voltage on them, except for the blue, red, brown and green TMDS wires. I am afraid my lcd controller is broken, but I hope not. Do you perhaps have an idea what is going on? I'd really like to continue this project:)

Keep up the good work!
Mats

Is the inverter working? Could it be a backlight issue?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back