Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
AsRock X570M Pro4
CPU
Ryzen 3700x
Graphics
RX 580
I've just completed my latest project, in which I modded an 800mhz iMac G4 17" (circa 2002) with an intel NUC DC3217IYE. The project turned out great, and works terrific in early testing. Here are a few photos of the finished work. Special thanks to the Dremel Junkie, JBerg44 for his dedicated efforts and knowledge which made this possible.

A complete build log is at this link. I tried to include as much detail as possible. I'm hopeful that this completed project will potentially inspire an increased number of these classic machines being given an extended lifespan through modding.

Video Links

External Demonstration

Hardware Details

Photos

IMG_4055.JPG

IMG_4054.JPG

IMG_4057.JPG

IMG_4058.JPG

IMG_4070.JPG

IMG_4060.JPG

IMG_4062.JPG

Cheers!

Ersterhernd

This looks really good! I have a dead 20" iMac G4 that I am thinking of doing this exact same build with.

Thx for the feedback!

Geeksunny, you'll likely find the 20" a challenge because the LCD requires 24V to power it. As much as I wanted to take on a 20" model, the goal of using an internal notebook 19V power brick steered me to purchase the 17". It uses 12V to backlight the LCD.

Good Luck if you decide to do it! You won't regret it, the NUC and iMac are a terrific combo, almost like they were made for each other. ;)

Cheers!

This looks really good! I have a dead 20" iMac G4 that I am thinking of doing this exact same build with.
in relation to the 24v problem, there is a solution that would still use the Nuc power supply.

If you search ebay for "DC step up" you can get a power converter that can increase the voltage (not sure how this works, but it does) from the 19v to 24v. The size and cost of these is dependant on how much power is needed by the screen.

Of course you need 12v for case fan, but a similar device "DC step down" can do this and may be cheaper and smaller than pico PSU. I have seen that newer Haswel NUCs have a Sata power connector, which cold also be used for the 12v

the important thing is there are options.

Hi Kiwi, MiniHack actually pointed out a viable option on my build log thread for this. It uses the piece of hardware below.

http://www.mini-box.com/DCDC-USB

It would likely work to run the stock NUC 19V power brick and a Wide input PicoPSU as I've done here, but instead of connecting the 12V directly from the Pico to the Screen Inverter, it would be connected to the device shown above. From there 24V could be fed out to the inverter. Its about 6"x1.5" in size so could likely be squeezed inside the dome somewhere.

You're absolutely right when you say there are options.

Cheers!

Hi ersterhernd,

I am looking to install Apple branded WiFi and Bluetooth in my system, and I was wondering how you did this. I am trying to find a good written guide for WiFi, but I cannot find one, and I am having trouble finding parts to make each of those work. I would really appreciate it if you could help me do this. Thank you.

Hi J,

For the apple wifi just grab a BCM4322 off eBay. To rebrand it, you'll need to boot to Linux as detailed on insanelymac forum. Search there for it.

For BT, buy a complete A1181 module with antenna and cable. Connect as per the diagram below.

ljj8.jpg

Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back