Contribute
Register

Error screen after cloning El Capitan with CCC (Carbon Copy Cloner)

Motherboard
Gigabyte H67A-UD3-B3
CPU
i5-2300
Graphics
HD 5700
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Hello all. My running El Capitan partition was cloned as "full volume" to external drive. I then installed Clover in UEFI mode with the according Multibeast for El Cap. The new drive boots to about 75 % almost finished, then shows this:

"HPETs unavailable.... CPU configured incorrectly"

Now. The EFI volume of the cloned drive is - likely - NOT THE SAME as the original working El Cap drive´s. At least I didn´t mount it to get it cloned with CCC. As the original EFI volume was originally installed through Mac OS Snow Leopard, it has Multi Beast Snow Leopard stuff on it, and also even old Leopard stuff, from the according Multibeasts.

Result: The clover boot screen on the cloned drive shows only ONE symbol for “HFS” to choose from - while on the original drive appear I think FOUR or five of them. One is a red Multibeast symbol, plus maybe a green clover one - don´t remember all.

Is it possible that all that old installation stuff makes the original drive boot? If yes: could I "simply" copy the contents of the original drive´s EFI volume into the new drive´s EFI volume? So it´s all complete?

I already tried to install the DSDT . aml file into the new EFI Clover folder as read in other thread - to no avail: brings me the slashed circle screen instead of the apple symbol.
Also seems I cannot run the older Multibeast versions on the cloned drive: they do net let me choose a drive at all. (The according points in the installer are grey, and are jumped over in the installation process.)

I could mount the EFI volumes with the EFI Mounter v3.1

OR: Will the EFI Volume need to be CLONED - or could it just be copied via drag and drop through the finder?

THXXX!!!

Last edited:
Yeah. After hours and days....

What worked for me: Use Apple Disk Utility to identify what drive is what. Copy old EFI to a folder first, then copy to cloned drive. Reinstall Multibeast in standard mode as UEFI, keep preselections. Reboot twice, if something´s not working. No further changes should be needed.

Back