Contribute
Register

Error installing High Sierra on Fusion Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
I tried to install the latest combo update also with r6369, but for some unknown reason, I was not able to install it straight away.
My guess is that maybe my fusion setup or clover config is not correct, as I couldn't see the install boot option as it was shown when only using one HDD setup (cloned form fusion drive with superduper)

My disks look as follows:

/dev/disk0 (internal, physical):

#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER

0: GUID_partition_scheme *128.0 GB disk0

1: EFI EFI 209.7 MB disk0s1

2: Apple_CoreStorage Fusion Drive 127.7 GB disk0s2

3: Apple_Boot Boot OS X 134.2 MB disk0s3

/dev/disk1 (internal, physical):

(time machine backup drive)

/dev/disk2 (internal, physical):

(windows drive)

/dev/disk3 (internal, physical):

0: GUID_partition_scheme *1.0 TB disk3

1: EFI EFI 209.7 MB disk3s1

2: Apple_CoreStorage Fusion Drive 999.3 GB disk3s2

3: Apple_Boot Recovery HD 650.0 MB disk3s3

/dev/disk4 (internal, virtual):

0: Apple_HFS OS X +1.1 TB disk4

Logical Volume on disk0s2, disk3s2

xxxx

Unencrypted Fusion Drive

As far as I understood it all, the 2nd phase of installing the update is to boot into the base system located in the Apple_Boot Recovery HD partition?

In clover, I only ticked for "Entries", no automatic, etc. However, as already said, when using a clone HDD for the update, the install option will show up in clover, correctly.

Any ideas?

Gonna update to 10.13.3 when I get the courage. Will make sure Clover is up to date before that.

Like usual, I got ambitious and eager, and updated to 10.13.3. Install went fine. Something caused the installation to hang at boot though after initial booting and installation of updated nvidia driver, or sound codec? So I reinstalled with recovery partition and everything working except for sound. I will reinstall sound sound when I have time to mess around and update if that goes to plan.

Last edited:
Could you possibly share your fusion drive and clover settings? I need to dig deeper into this, as I still cannot update like that.
Thanks!

I had the same issue, even after updating Clover. It turned out that the issue was due to my boot EFI and Recovery HD being on separate physical drives. I had to backup my Fusion Drive (with Carbon Copy Cloner), blow away the CoreStorage volume and redo it. This time I put the Recovery HD on my SSD, along with my EFI boot partition. I attached a screenshot of my diskutil.

I created the Recovery HD via Carbon Copy Cloner and then used the disk0s2 and disk1 when creating the CoreStorage.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    48.1 KB · Views: 111
I had the same issue, even after updating Clover. It turned out that the issue was due to my boot EFI and Recovery HD being on separate physical drives. I had to backup my Fusion Drive (with Carbon Copy Cloner), blow away the CoreStorage volume and redo it. This time I put the Recovery HD on my SSD, along with my EFI boot partition. I attached a screenshot of my diskutil.

I created the Recovery HD via Carbon Copy Cloner and then used the disk0s2 and disk1 when creating the CoreStorage.

This seems to be a promising approach! Indeed, I have my recovery portion on the 2nd (i.e. the HDD) drive and not the SSD.

I would have to double check with another rig I had setup up freshly just last weekend with high sierra and look how the installation has set up the partitions.
I simply used the good old instruction how to set up fusion drive with the terminal, the rest was done by the high sierra installation, by means that it modified and added the recovery portion by itself.

This seems to be a promising approach! Indeed, I have my recovery portion on the 2nd (i.e. the HDD) drive and not the SSD.

I would have to double check with another rig I had setup up freshly just last weekend with high sierra and look how the installation has set up the partitions.
I simply used the good old instruction how to set up fusion drive with the terminal, the rest was done by the high sierra installation, by means that it modified and added the recovery portion by itself.

I'm willing to bet that's your problem, as it was mine. I have disk0s1 with my EFI/Clover, and had disk0s3 as BOOT OS X. That caused the updater to freak out on reboot. Once I redid it and had the Recover HD on disk0s3, I haven't had a problem.

Would be great if you could give a brief "how-to" on the necessary steps!!!

Obviously, I'm not responsible for any data loss or issues with booting your hack.

Perform the following while in your Fusion Drive:

- Download Carbon Copy Cloner (CCC)
- Clone your current Fusion Drive to an external HDD
- Copy all of your system required KEXTs from your Fusion Drive's Library/Extensions to the SSD EFI EFI/Clover/Kexts/Other folder (If your Clover folder is in another volume, copy to there).
- Boot to the CCC HDD via your CURRENT boot disk (in this case your SSD)

Perform the following while in your CCC HDD:

- Install Clover on the CCC HDD
- Copy all of your system required KEXTs from your Fusion Drive's Library/Extensions to the desktop
- Run KextBeast and install the Kexts to the CCC HDD Library/Extensions folder
- Copy your Clover folder contents from the Fusion Drive's EFI to the CCC HDD EFI
- Reboot the computer and access your UEFI Boot Options (usually F12)
- Boot off of the CCC HDD drive, this will take your Fusion Drive disks out of the equation
- Boot into macOS on the CCC HDD
- If everything boots up correctly, perform the next steps. If not, investigate and resolve the boot issue

Delete the Existing CoreStorage:

- DOUBLECHECK THAT EVERYTHING HAS BEEN COPIED TO THE CCC HDD CORRECTLY
- From CCC HDD open terminal
- Run: diskutil cs list
- Locate the Logical Volume UUID and copy it
- Run: diskutil cs deleteVolume UUID
- Open the Disk Utility app and format both drives
- Open Carbon Copy Cloner and click the new volume for the SSD drive
- Click the Recovery HD button at the bottom to start the Recovery HD clone process

Create the new CoreStorage:

- Open Terminal and run: diskutil list
- You should now see (obviously sizes will be different)
Code:
    1:            EFI EFI                            209.7 MB   disk0s1
    2:            SSD                                127.2 GB   disk0s2
    3:            Apple_Boot Recovery HD            650.0 MB   disk0s3
- In Terminal run the following (make sure your second disk is disk1. If it isn't, use whichever number it is):
Code:
diskutil coreStorage create "Fusion Drive" disk0s2 disk1
- Once complete, you will see Core Storage LVG UUID. Copy the UUID as you'll need it for the next step
- In Terminal, run the following:
Code:
diskutil coreStorage createVolume UUID jhfs+ "Macintosh HD" 100%
- Open Carbon Copy Cloner and create a new task to clone your data back
- Follow the steps from the first section regarding the copying of KEXTs and Clover folder. This time, you're going from the CCC HDD to the new Fusion Drive

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back