Contribute
Register

Error installing High Sierra on Fusion Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was hoping I would hear back from the other members with success or failure using the new clover? Not sure if I want to update to 10.13.2 until I do?
Please wait or use Carbon Copy Cloner to make a copy on a separate hard disc. Afterwards you can update this cloned installation.

I have still problems to update (See more...)

I am starting to think, I got my system updated to 10.13.1 by accident/luck. Tried to update last night to 10.13.2 with Clover v2.4k r4318 and got the dreaded NO ENTRY symbol :cry:. Had to restore my whole drive from recovery 1.25 TB and 10 hours. Think I will wait for others to have success before I try again.

Last edited:
Was hoping I would hear back from the other members with success or failure using the new clover? Not sure if I want to update to 10.13.2 until I do?
Yesterday I updated from 10.13.1 to 10.13.2 with the newest 4334 Clover.
At the first restart there was a new clover entry "boot install OSX of recovery HD" or something like that, which startet the update.
There was no need for the steps on Post 34.
Please do yourself a favor and backup Boot OS X Partition for any case.

I got myself updated in a roundabout fashion.

I didn't have the option to:

"boot install OSX of recovery HD" or something like that, which startet the update.
There was no need for the steps on Post 34."

It did however add a new boot option as a recovery partition. I booted into the new recovery partition and just chose to reinstall High Sierra (as my original boot and recovery partitions were un-bootable), I reinstalled High Sierra to my boot partition and presto chango it installed 10.13.2.

Big thanks to Gaffalover for his post and giving me the courage to try again.

For some reason, I couldn't see a menu option to boot the installer the first time I tried. Instead, I ran into the same trouble as in the past when trying to update my fusion drive (circle+slash when trying to boot). I repaired the startup files using Recovery and then tried installing again, but this time from the terminal. When I rebooted, the installer option showed up.

Unfortunately, I started getting Kernel panics shortly after the Apple logo came up. I fixed this by disabling all injected kexts except for FakeSMC. Once the installation finished, all was back to normal. So, still a little frustrating but definitely a tad smoother than the previous two updates.

I did run into some trouble post-install with WhateverGreen and my AMD graphics card, but I was able to sort that out with an SSDT edit. Haven't had to mess with SSDTs in years, so that was weird.

I repaired the startup files using Recovery and then tried installing again, but this time from the terminal.
May I ask you what you mean by that?
Did you start the update via a Terminal command?

May I ask you what you mean by that?
Did you start the update via a Terminal command?

I repaired the startup files by booting into Recovery and then choosing the main drive as the startup disk. As I mentioned in one of my earlier posts, this resets the changes that the update installer makes to the Fusion boot files.

The Terminal command I used for starting the update process is this:

Code:
sudo softwareupdate -ia

I had tried this because I read elsewhere that this command allows for in-place updates (without requiring a logout). This wasn't the case; I still needed to reboot and choose the installer from the Clover menu. The good news though, as I mentioned above, was that this time the install did appear in the menu. I'm not sure what the difference was or why it worked out this way, but I thought it might be helpful to share my experience.

For some reason, I couldn't see a menu option to boot the installer the first time I tried. Instead, I ran into the same trouble as in the past when trying to update my fusion drive (circle+slash when trying to boot). I repaired the startup files using Recovery and then tried installing again, but this time from the terminal. When I rebooted, the installer option showed up.

Unfortunately, I started getting Kernel panics shortly after the Apple logo came up. I fixed this by disabling all injected kexts except for FakeSMC. Once the installation finished, all was back to normal. So, still a little frustrating but definitely a tad smoother than the previous two updates.

I did run into some trouble post-install with WhateverGreen and my AMD graphics card, but I was able to sort that out with an SSDT edit. Haven't had to mess with SSDTs in years, so that was weird.

Sorry if I am sounding ignorant.
This step of disabling all kexts except FakeSMC, is this possible with clover boot options? Or is this done by terminal commands.
I do have the install option when updating with the combo update. Pretty simple system demands, basically only USB and Nvidia web driver is needed. But keep getting stuck with the stop (circle/slash) sign...
Using Recovery I am able to get back into 10.13.1.
After trying out all kind of options lost track a bit.

I had some big issues during the update. I ended up redoing my Fusion drive. This time, I put the Recovery HD on the SSD, which is also my EFI boot drive. This seems to have fixed the issue where Clover was still trying to boot to the "wrong" drive during the update. Also make sure you have a Carbon Copy Cloner backup before updating (I forgot to do this on the last update). Make sure to install Clover on the CCC backup drive (copy your existing EFI/Clover folder to it) and boot directly to the drive for testing, prior to updating.

Side note, I ran into a strange Kernel Panic because of Lilu 1.2.0, I updated to 1.2.1 and that resolved the issue. Also make sure you have the apfs driver in your EFI/Clover/Kext folder.

One other tip. Fusion drives have a higher chance of problems, simply because they are more complex than just a standard drive. I use backblaze for cloud backup and it has saved me twice. Once I jacked up my fusion drive and accidentally blew away my backup. The second time was this weekend. I forgot to run CCC before updating and didn't have a current backup of my data.

Cloud backup is sooooo important, you never know what could happen.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back