Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UP5 TH
CPU
Core i7 3770K
Graphics
AMD RX580
Whenever I try to install High Sierra on my Fusion Drive, which happens to be bootable under 10.12, the Fusion Drive appears to become broken and unbootable. Instead of showing one "Boot macOS 10.12" or the installer partition, I see two individual "Boot macOS 10.12", each of which is unbootable and generates the following error:

Error loading kernel cache 0xe

The only way to resolve this is to boot into the Recovery Partition and run First Aid on the Fusion Drive.

I have tried many things to resolve this already:
  1. I've run the installer from within Sierra itself.
  2. I've run the installer off a USB stick with Clover installed
  3. I've tried various versions of Clover (4097, 4200, 4220)
  4. I've tried an older version of apfs.efi
  5. I'm using the drop MATS table option (which lets me get into the installer for the USB stick) and have tried many different boot flags
  6. I've used startosinstall from Terminal with the --converttoapfs NO option
Does the installer have a problem installing onto 3rd party Fusion Drives? Am I left having to split up my Fusion Drive and install onto the single SSD instead? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, but I should mention that I never installed any of the betas onto my Fusion Drive. That document implies that the actions should be taken if you ran the High Sierra betas on a Fusion Drive. I will probably end up using that approach anyway to try to install High Sierra. But shouldn't I just be able to run the installer on my Fusion Drive given it wasn't ever converted to APFS?

But shouldn't I just be able to run the installer on my Fusion Drive given it wasn't ever converted to APFS?
No idea, I have no fusion drives but thought that the article might help you.

So I don't know really but Fusion drives are an Apple thing that marries an SSD to an HDD, and while you may have found some way to do that on a Hackintosh I can't imagine you would have zero issues upgrading a hacked Fusion drive running Sierra, to High Sierra. As you say you didn't touch the previous betas so the Fusion drive was never converted to apfs and the GM won't do that so I don't think apfs is your issue. I think it's some sort of disconnect between the Apple installer and the hacked Fusion drive. But I don't know about Fusion drives on Hackintoshes so maybe that's not an issue. Just a gut reaction based on ignorance.

I can confirm that the method I linked to works for your issue. I had the same issue. I used Carbon Copy Cloner to copy the fusion drive to a regular drive, upgraded the regular drive to High Sierra, then used Carbon Copy Cloner again from the regular drive to the fusion drive. It's not pretty but it works.

Whenever I try to install High Sierra on my Fusion Drive, which happens to be bootable under 10.12, the Fusion Drive appears to become broken and unbootable. Instead of showing one "Boot macOS 10.12" or the installer partition, I see two individual "Boot macOS 10.12", each of which is unbootable and generates the following error:

Error loading kernel cache 0xe

The only way to resolve this is to boot into the Recovery Partition and run First Aid on the Fusion Drive.

I have tried many things to resolve this already:
  1. I've run the installer from within Sierra itself.
  2. I've run the installer off a USB stick with Clover installed
  3. I've tried various versions of Clover (4097, 4200, 4220)
  4. I've tried an older version of apfs.efi
  5. I'm using the drop MATS table option (which lets me get into the installer for the USB stick) and have tried many different boot flags
  6. I've used startosinstall from Terminal with the --converttoapfs NO option
Does the installer have a problem installing onto 3rd party Fusion Drives? Am I left having to split up my Fusion Drive and install onto the single SSD instead? Any help would be appreciated.

Any updates as to what you decided or did you find a way to install on a Fusion Drive?

I can confirm that the method I linked to works for your issue. I had the same issue. I used Carbon Copy Cloner to copy the fusion drive to a regular drive, upgraded the regular drive to High Sierra, then used Carbon Copy Cloner again from the regular drive to the fusion drive. It's not pretty but it works.

After my first attempt at upgrading to High Sierra left me with the loading kernel cache error documented in the 1st post, I had to boot into Recovery and run First Aid to recover my Fusion Drive.

I then used CCC to clone my Sierra install to an external HD. I then proceeded to upgrade this external Sierra install to HS, or so I thought. After the upgrade completed, I booted from the external HD, only to find it was still running Sierra. I then unplugged the external drive, and rebooted from my Fusion Drive to find it was running HS! I'm not sure if I chose a wrong option somewhere, but it's all good now.

Any updates as to what you decided or did you find a way to install on a Fusion Drive?

Yes, I ended up doing what many others in this thread did. Using Carbon Copy Cloner, I cloned my Fusion Drive to an external hard disk, installed High Sierra on that, then cloned it back to my Fusion Drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back