Contribute
Register

erik's "Tiny But Mighty" HTPC: ASRock Z370M-ITX/ac - i5-8400 - UHD 630 Graphics - High Sierra

Status
Not open for further replies.
I used BCM94352Z that got WiFi and BT working, but handoff/continuity has some problem.

Hi there. Great build, thanks.
Can you please elaborate a bit more on what you had to do to get the Broadcom installed successfully?

Do you imagine any problem running this as a dual boot Mac/Win PC? I will be putting something like this in a bigger case and putting my GTX 980 Ti on it.

Thanks!

Getting ready to do my build which is almost the exact same thing. Any "gotcha's" that you could share @erik? Also, with your two sticks of GSkill ripjaw, does the heatsink of the ram in the forward most slot touch the Noctua heatsink? Having that problem with my Crucial Ballistix and curious if that has raised any issues for you?
@walkermac What do you mean by you are having handoff issues after getting the broadcom chip to work?

Hi there.
I have all my ducks in a row now, having bought everything.

Do your files include the USB fixes too?
What would I need to do to make this work with an i7 8700K instead?

Thanks in advance
Ben

Only

There is a guide by either Rehabman or Toledo in the correct assignment of the USB ports. You will need to do this to get everything setup properly. When doing this make sure that you plug items into EVERY port, this means move a USB 2.0 device between all slots and a USB 3.0 between all USB 3.0 slots AND move the Ethernet cable between both.
First thing you should do is install the IntelMausiEthernet.kext to get the ball rolling.

I used BCM94352Z that got WiFi and BT working, but handoff/continuity has some problem.

I think my handoff/continuity also doesn't work (I recall reading somewhere that there is some trouble getting that set up...). I haven't tried it, nor do I use it commonly, but I did try it once but to no luck. Hopefully there's a solution to this (I would certainly want to have this feature lying around!).

Alright, I've been at this for about 5 hours and I have to tap out. I have the same motherboard and CPU. If I use OP's clover folder, I get a "crossed out circle" symbol. I actually had to do iMac 17,1 to solve my graphical glitching (opposed to OP's 18,1). With my own setup, I got 31fps on cinebench so performance wise (seems 40fps is what I should be hitting) I'm still short, not sure why. I only have the USB 2 slots in the back and no audio through HDMI. I think discovering why I get the error with OP's clover settings is the key. Don't mean to thread jack but seems we're all looking for help in this thread. I've attached my EFI for anyone who can help.

Edit: By copying OP's SSDT patch, I have 6 out of the 8 USB's working, which is enough for me. I am doing research now but it won't open images or play audio or videos. With an iGPU, hopefully this will be an easy fix.

May be wrong on this, but I think through HDMI you can only peak out at around 30 fps using the iGPU. If you want 60 I suggest switching over to DP (but that carries problems on its own, look through the thread).
Not sure about the crossed-out circle (that never happened to me). Did you start with Mojave or High Sierra? OP's EFI is for HS, not for Mojave. Maybe try from the start (from HS), and then make your way up? (I know there are graphic errors using OP's EFI in Mojave; some things need to be changed)
As well, OP uses 18,3; which does pose some problems. Odd though, I'm using 18,1 with no problems...did you try that?
USBs should be customized by yourself. RehabMan has a guide somewhere (https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-creating-a-custom-ssdt-for-usbinjectall-kext.211311/). This guide (https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/applehda-hdmi-audio-guide.234735/) should do the trick for HDMI audio.

This is my first build, so I may not be as experienced as others that may be in the thread. A quick search in the thread would definitely help solve some problems.

EDIT: Slightly looked into your EFI. If you're on Mojave: MAKE A BACKUP FIRST (in case something goes wrong)! Take out Shiki and IntelGraphicsFixup and use WhateverGreen. Someone suggested using 1.2.4, as 1.2.5 caused some problems? Don't quite remember, but give that a shot. Take out the Fake IntelGFX ID, and use in Graphics --> ig-platform-id "0x3E920000" or "0x3E9B0007"
These are steps you can try out, but I don't pose these as solutions. Do try at your own risk (and make a backup!)

Hi there. Great build, thanks.
Can you please elaborate a bit more on what you had to do to get the Broadcom installed successfully?

Do you imagine any problem running this as a dual boot Mac/Win PC? I will be putting something like this in a bigger case and putting my GTX 980 Ti on it.

Thanks!

The Wifi/BT chip is actually relatively simple to install. All you need is a lot of patience and PLEASE a magnetic screwdriver (I don't have one, and boy it was hard). On the MB look for the wifi box thing (it's where the antennas connect to), then unscrew any screws (on the MB and on the box) that you see. Remove the encasing, use some force to disconnect the wires from the original Intel wifi chip, then attach the new one (watch the orientation!). Put everything back to place and the chip is installed.
There are a few guides talking about how to install Broadcom Wifi chips in macOS (this is a good start: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/broadcom-wifi-bluetooth-guide.242423/).

I use my Hack as a dual-boot, and it works perfectly fine! Make sure to use two drives, as then if something goes wrong it doesn't affect the other OS. The only small problem I've encountered is the time of day when switching from one OS to another—on macOS it may be off but immediately changes to the correct time, while in Windows it does take some time for the automatic time setting to take place (I generally manually override the automatic time setting so that Windows sets the time correctly). Using one OS will not have this problem; it only occurs when switching.
Note that Mojave has many NVidia driver issues right now, so be wary when installing your eGPU in.

Hi there.
I have all my ducks in a row now, having bought everything.

Do your files include the USB fixes too?
What would I need to do to make this work with an i7 8700K instead?

Thanks in advance
Ben

Only

The EFI that @erik attached does have SSDT files, however I still suggest you create it yourself in case (I provided a link above)
I don't think there's too many catches for the i7 (maybe for power management?), but I don't speak from experience. Does someone in the thread use an i7, and if so provide some insight?

There is a guide by either Rehabman or Toledo in the correct assignment of the USB ports. You will need to do this to get everything setup properly. When doing this make sure that you plug items into EVERY port, this means move a USB 2.0 device between all slots and a USB 3.0 between all USB 3.0 slots AND move the ethernet cable between both.
First thing you should do is install the IntelMausiEthernet.kext to get the ball rolling.

Why did you need to move the Ethernet cable in between? I just plugged the USBs in :D

Last edited:
THANKS VERY MUCH :)))

I think my handoff/continuity also doesn't work (I recall reading somewhere that there is some trouble getting that set up...). I haven't tried it, nor do I use it commonly, but I did try it once but to no luck. Hopefully there's a solution to this (I would certainly want to have this feature lying around!).

May be wrong on this, but I think through HDMI you can only peak out at around 30 fps using the iGPU. If you want 60 I suggest switching over to DP (but that carries problems on its own, look through the thread).
Not sure about the crossed-out circle (that never happened to me). Did you start with Mojave or High Sierra? OP's EFI is for HS, not for Mojave. Maybe try from the start (from HS), and then make your way up? (I know there are graphic errors using OP's EFI in Mojave; some things need to be changed)
As well, OP uses 18,3; which does pose some problems. Odd though, I'm using 18,1 with no problems...did you try that?
USBs should be customized by yourself. RehabMan has a guide somewhere (https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-creating-a-custom-ssdt-for-usbinjectall-kext.211311/). This guide (https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/applehda-hdmi-audio-guide.234735/) should do the trick for HDMI audio.

This is my first build, so I may not be as experienced as others that may be in the thread. A quick search in the thread would definitely help solve some problems.

EDIT: Slightly looked into your EFI. If you're on Mojave: MAKE A BACKUP FIRST (in case something goes wrong)! Take out Shiki and IntelGraphicsFixup and use WhateverGreen. Someone suggested using 1.2.4, as 1.2.5 caused some problems? Don't quite remember, but give that a shot. Take out the Fake IntelGFX ID, and use in Graphics --> ig-platform-id "0x3E920000" or "0x3E9B0007"
These are steps you can try out, but I don't pose these as solutions. Do try at your own risk (and make a backup!)

The Wifi/BT chip is actually relatively simple to install. All you need is a lot of patience and PLEASE a magnetic screwdriver (I don't have one, and boy it was hard). On the MB look for the wifi box thing (it's where the antennas connect to), then unscrew any screws (on the MB and on the box) that you see. Remove the encasing, use some force to disconnect the wires from the original Intel wifi chip, then attach the new one (watch the orientation!). Put everything back to place and the chip is installed.
There are a few guides talking about how to install Broadcom Wifi chips in macOS (this is a good start: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/broadcom-wifi-bluetooth-guide.242423/).

I use my Hack as a dual-boot, and it works perfectly fine! Make sure to use two drives, as then if something goes wrong it doesn't affect the other OS. The only small problem I've encountered is the time of day when switching from one OS to another—on macOS it may be off but immediately changes to the correct time, while in Windows it does take some time for the automatic time setting to take place (I generally manually override the automatic time setting so that Windows sets the time correctly). Using one OS will not have this problem; it only occurs when switching.
Note that Mojave has many NVidia driver issues right now, so be wary when installing your eGPU in.

The EFI that @erik attached does have SSDT files, however I still suggest you create it yourself in case (I provided a link above)
I don't think there's too many catches for the i7 (maybe for power management?), but I don't speak from experience. Does someone in the thread use an i7, and if so provide some insight?

Why did you need to move the ethernet cable in between? I just plugged the USBs in :D

Hi there, the USB/SSDT stuff looks scary. Would USBInjectAll work ok on this board?

Hi there, the USB/SSDT stuff looks scary. Would USBInjectAll work ok on this board?
I thought the exact same thing when I read the article!
Take the time to read it carefully, it's not that bad.
In short, basically use ioregistryexplorer (link in that thread) and start plugging in USB 2s and USB 3s in all the ports possible (NOTE: if you're on Mojave, you may need to do it some at a time, this guide will do better for Mojave: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/release-hackintool-v1-7-7.254559/), then deleting text from a document that is also attached, then finally exporting it and placing it in a folder.
Don't take that advice, that's just a summary of what you have to do.

USBInjectAll on its own isn't the best solution, as it may cause problems that I don't completely understand.
Good luck!

Only partially works. You will need to go through Rehabmans guide on reassigning all your USB ports. Pretty easy actually.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back