Contribute
Register

erik's "Tiny But Mighty" HTPC: ASRock Z370M-ITX/ac - i5-8400 - UHD 630 Graphics - High Sierra

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, Mojave is being difficult. I did the update directly from High Sierra using the Install macOS Mojave app. However, after rebooting from the installer in Clover, I get about 90% to boot, then the display shuts down and I have to power off. If I boot from my High Sierra USB stick and choose my SSD with Mojave on it, I can boot all the way but I have no bluetooth on my Lenovo card (although Wifi works great with this card), so I suspect I have to fix the USB port limit again. I also have graphics glitches which may require a change in the model identifier. But the biggest issue is that I cannot boot, even after reinstalling the current Clover with Multibeast from within the Mojave boot.

Any suggestions?

and Linux had somehow hosed the use of Clover on that disk..
I've been doing some experiments regarding attempts to dual boot macOS and Linux, where both systems occupy the same disk. On my system I have two "disks" one is a traditional SATA drive, which I will refer to as HD, and the other is a M.2 SSD, which I will refer to as SSD. On the SSD I also have a Linux installation (Mint, 18).

Test1:

Both disks started with identical EFI partitions (I changed only the default disk to boot), and identical macOS (10.13.6) partitions. Under these conditions:
  • I can set either HD or SSD in the bios to boot first, which brings up Clover.
  • The Clover GUI shows four selections: (HD, recovery on HD, SSD, recovery on SSD). No Linux, which is expected so far.
  • From Clover I can boot either the HD or SSD version of macOS, and both run fine, and
  • in particular sleep works fine, and shutdown works fine.
Test2:

In an attempt to provide a linux option in clover, I do two things:
  • Add a Linux directory named Ubuntu to the EFI directory in ESP of SSD. This Ubuntu is basically what the Linux Mint install originally created, and looks like this:
Screen Shot 2018-10-11 at 10.38.24 PM.png
  • Set the Linux entry to true in clover.cfg. (In the Scan section).
The results of this test are mixed just fine:
  • When I reboot and get to Clover boot loader GUI, there is a new option for Ubuntu, marked with a big U.
  • When I select it, I can boot into Linux mint, which works fine. Great!
  • But, now when I boot into OS X on the SSD (on same disk that holds the EFI which contains the new Ubuntu EFI directory shown above), I have problems with sleep. Basically it doesn't, it just blanks the screen, and comes right back. Edit: I think this occurred because I was slightly moving the mouse as I clicked the sleep menu item. I just repeated this test, and (when I am careful with the mouse,) all works just fine.
  • Otherwise macOS works OK.
When I remove the Ubuntu directory from EFI, all is well with macOS on SSD.

Test3:

I move the Ubuntu partition to HD, i.e. the EFI in the ESP on the HD disk (which does not contain the actual Linux installation). Now when I select the SSD EFI in bios and reboot:
  • The Ubuntu option is back in the Clover menu. This makes sense, because clover is reading the ESP partitions of all the disks.
  • Linux boots fine, works fine.
  • macOS on SSD boots fine, works fine, sleep, shutdown, is perfect.
Conclusions:

There appears to be some bad interaction from the Ubuntu EFI directory that is bleeding over into the macOS boot, but I can't quite see the connection. Edit: All works well for dual boot. (BTW, if I put the Ubuntu directory in ESP of both disks, I get two Ubuntu options in the clover boot menu. This makes sense, as these efi items are just blindly scooped up from the ESP.)

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    15.9 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
Just finished my build with similar components. I’ve installed Mojave but can’t get iGPU graphics acceleration.
I have IntelGraphicsFixup.kext and Shiki.kext from erik’s EFI folder, and I’ve set my ig-platform-id to 0x3E9B0007, model is iMac18,3. Theres’s a few graphical glitches and “About this Mac” shows 7 MB of VRAM. If my ig-platform-id is 0x59120000 like erik suggested, it says 1.5 GB of VRAM but my display gets pink-tinted and glitches appear all over the place.

Any ideas? It’s my first build and can’t get this working…

So, Mojave is being difficult. I did the update directly from High Sierra using the Install macOS Mojave app. However, after rebooting from the installer in Clover, I get about 90% to boot, then the display shuts down and I have to power off. If I boot from my High Sierra USB stick and choose my SSD with Mojave on it, I can boot all the way but I have no bluetooth on my Lenovo card (although Wifi works great with this card), so I suspect I have to fix the USB port limit again. I also have graphics glitches which may require a change in the model identifier. But the biggest issue is that I cannot boot, even after reinstalling the current Clover with Multibeast from within the Mojave boot.

Any suggestions?
I got mine working with the limit patch. You have to reinstall the KEXTs in the proper folder. I am having issues with continuity now. Did it ever work for you?

Just finished my build with similar components. I’ve installed Mojave but can’t get iGPU graphics acceleration.
I have IntelGraphicsFixup.kext and Shiki.kext from erik’s EFI folder, and I’ve set my ig-platform-id to 0x3E9B0007, model is iMac18,3. Theres’s a few graphical glitches and “About this Mac” shows 7 MB of VRAM. If my ig-platform-id is 0x59120000 like erik suggested, it says 1.5 GB of VRAM but my display gets pink-tinted and glitches appear all over the place.

Any ideas? It’s my first build and can’t get this working…

18.3 will give graphic glitches, try 18.1 which is what I use, and they should disappear.

Also intelgraphicsfixup and shiki are depreciated. Whatevergreen replaces quite a few kexts which is also what I use now, albeit DisplayPort did stop working after this.

18.3 will give graphic glitches, try 18.1 which is what I use, and they should disappear.

Also intelgraphicsfixup and shiki are depreciated. Whatevergreen replaces quite a few kexts which is also what I use now, albeit DisplayPort did stop working after this.

I’ve set 18.1 and added Lilu and WhateverGreen (removing the other kexts of course), still 7 MB VRAM with InjectIntel, without it wont boot. I don’t know if I should set -disablegfxfirmware, it seems to work with and without although boot time seems longer without.
Can you please upload your EFI? That non-working acceleration is kind of annoying…

Last edited:
Hi erik! What a cool build! :)
Is this primarily used as a media center? Im curious as to how it would handle some light photo/video editing.

Hi erik! What a cool build! :)
Is this primarily used as a media center? Im curious as to how it would handle some light photo/video editing.
Hexacore i7 with UHD 630 gpu. It'll do more than light photo and video editing. It's quite a beast.

Hexacore i7 with UHD 630 gpu. It'll do more than light photo and video editing. It's quite a beast.

It’s actually an i5 in erik’s build but yeah it’s still quite a beast and will probably do video editing with Final Cut Pro X without problems (because I have not much trouble doing it on my early 2011 MacBook Pro with its i5 and shitty Intel HD 3000 =P)

Can anyone please post its Mojave EFI folder? I really can’t get the graphics acceleration of the iGPU to work… ><'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back