Contribute
Register

erik's "Tiny But Mighty" HTPC: ASRock Z370M-ITX/ac - i5-8400 - UHD 630 Graphics - High Sierra

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would you mind making a guide? I'm struggling with mine, most of the hardware is thesame except for Wifi/BT (using BCM94360CS2 from Macbook Air + adapter). Everything works perfect with High Sierra, but with this I can't get it to gracefully work for Mojave

If I set to iMac18,1 SMBios it won't get to login screen (No Signal monitor). If I set it to iMac18,3 it flickers/artifacts. If I set it to iMac 18,3 it works (but i think this is invalid as there is a space in between iMac and 18,3 and it says iMac 27-inch Late 2012 in About This Mac) but the problem is bluetooth can't be detected because USB is F'd up, and sound isn't working. Would appreciate any advice.

18.1 is the one that works for mine, any above that and i get bad graphics. I dont use bluetooth or wifi on mine anymore (bluetooth with the usb400 by asus) was flakey so went back to wired mouse which works fine for myself (same on high sierra)

I did the upgrade which to be fair seemed okay at first but had sleep issues, so i just created the mojave installer following the guide for beta creation (have to change the app name obviously in terminal so reflect the release version but the guide works fine)

Then just copied across my high sierra efs folder to usb. Fresh install flew by without issue.

I am going to check some usb things tomorrow though as alot of the usb 3 ports are disabled in the ssdt (original one used from first post) so going to redo that tomoz otherwise USB works fine, hd audio works fine, hdmi and usb audio is working good.

Only thing i cant get working all of a sudden is Displayport, but was having that issue in HS and think thats down to whatevergreen.kext as was working fine (even swapped MB + cable with Amazon but no difference)

Hi everyone, I need a quick advice.

I’m building my first Hackintosh with the same mobo, and I just need to select a WLAN card. I saw erik used BCM94352Z and this is reported "compatible" with configuration. But I found in the Broadcom WiFi/Bluetooth guide that the BCM94350ZAE had “native” compatibility, and it’s two times cheaper than the BCM94342Z ones.
Do you think it will fit? Do you think it will work? Connectors between the two are different: the BCM94350ZAE has one more indent at the bottom.

Thanks!

Hi everyone, I need a quick advice.

I’m building my first Hackintosh with the same mobo, and I just need to select a WLAN card. I saw erik used BCM94352Z and this is reported "compatible" with configuration. But I found in the Broadcom WiFi/Bluetooth guide that the BCM94350ZAE had “native” compatibility, and it’s two times cheaper than the BCM94342Z ones.
Do you think it will fit? Do you think it will work? Connectors between the two are different: the BCM94350ZAE has one more indent at the bottom.

Thanks!

It says on the page BCM94350ZAE is an M.2 and native, so it MAY fit and work great. I instead opted for BCM94360CS2 (just for peace of mind since it's from a macbook air) and got a NGFF->M.2 adapter with it, and it's flawless (trackpad works in recovery mode too).

It says on the page BCM94350ZAE is an M.2 and native, so it MAY fit and work great. I instead opted for BCM94360CS2 (just for peace of mind since it's from a macbook air) and got a NGFF->M.2 adapter with it, and it's flawless (trackpad works in recovery mode too).

Thanks! Would love to get the opinion of people who have had experience with it.
Does it fit with your adapter? I guess you cannot put the metal shield back with it?

EDIT: it seems that the BCM94350ZAE is a hit-or-miss adapter, as it works great for some, and others cannot boot their computer at all… The BCM94352Z seems to be the most recommended module.

Last edited:
Here's the mystery of the day:

I have a build here that is strikingly similar to Eric's... AFAIK the only hardware difference is the size of the M.2. (Actually, I ordered a 250G, but they sent a 500G (hey, I'm not complaining :)). I'm running 10.13.6. Got the EFI partition populated with Eric's files, changed iMac 14,3 to iMac 14,1 to fix screen jitters.

Everything that should work seems to work (except wifi, because I don't yet have a compatible card) but...

When I drag & drop a file to copy it, the copy completes, and as soon as it completes, the system immediately resets, go back to boot state.

I get the same behavior (reset, reboot) when I plug in headphones or remove them from front panel headphone jack. This behavior does not occur prior to login. At the login screen I can push and pull the headphone plug as much as I want, with no problem. But as soon as I login, that activity always triggers the reset, reboot.

I have tested this same hardware running linux (Mint 18), no glitches like this whatever, so it definitely seems like it is a hardware problem.

I don't see any evidence in the system log. Any suggestions on where else to look?

my 2¢, here's what i'll try:
- Open clover configurator and change the layout id to 3 in Devices > Audio > Inject, save reboot and test
- If not successful, try remove appleALC.kext and other audio kexts and see if it's going to behave thesame
- If still no success, Download/Update Lilu and appleALC.kext of EFI/CLOVER/kexts/other/ in clover configurator.
- If still not, Backup and delete CLOVER folder in EFI, and download/install Clover_v2.4k_r4586-UEFI.pkg, and start with that config.plist

my 2¢, here's what i'll try:
- Open clover configurator and change the layout id to 3 in Devices > Audio > Inject, save reboot and test
- If not successful, try remove appleALC.kext and other audio kexts and see if it's going to behave thesame
- If still no success, Download/Update Lilu and appleALC.kext of EFI/CLOVER/kexts/other/ in clover configurator.
- If still not, Backup and delete CLOVER folder in EFI, and download/install Clover_v2.4k_r4586-UEFI.pkg, and start with that config.plist

The problem was actually quite simple: My EFI system partition was named EFI, as was of course the EFI directory at the top of that partition. I got them confused, and as part of some "cleanup" activity, I moved all the content of the real EFI directory into the root of the partition. Once I discovered this and moved them back, everything seems to work just fine.

You had the right idea though, something was not handling hardware interrupts correctly.... because the proper kernel extensions had... taken a walk.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Glad it worked out for you :) I'm curious tho, isn't moving the contents of /EFI to root will make clover to not boot?

Glad it worked out for you :) I'm curious tho, isn't moving the contents of /EFI to root will make clover to not boot?
Well, I had two disks and I was booting off a different one, because the one of interest also had linux on it, and linux had somehow hosed the use of clover on that disk. The linux install setup the boot through EFI fallbacks, and as far as I can tell, my board seems to do the fallbacks first. I'm not sure about that, though, I've been studying the EFI docs and doing some tests. So far all I can tell you is that as soon as I eradicated all of linux stuff from the ESP, the clover stuff showed up as an option.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back