Contribute
Register

erik's "Tiny But Mighty" HTPC: ASRock Z370M-ITX/ac - i5-8400 - UHD 630 Graphics - High Sierra

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all, I've "cloned' @erik's base config :

ASRock Z370M-ITX/ac
Core i5-8400
16GB G-Skill RipJaws V PC4-2400 CL15-16-16-35
Samsung Evo 860 250GB (macOS), 970 EVO 250GB (Win10, not yet connected)

At the moment I haven't used a discrete GPU, I wanted to tinker first with the integrated HD 630.

I'm almost new at the Hackintosh world, I built a hackintosh years ago but I'm a little lost now. I didn't understand your install instructions and I thought MultiBeast should be used for post install. I had no sound (no WiFi/BT either, but didn't change the WiFi chipset so that's normal) but I had network connection and USB ports were working.

I tried to apply multibeast and selected a few modules:

Quickstart
UEFI Boot Module

Drivers
Audio - ALC892
Disk - None
Misc - FakeSMC
Network - None
USB - USBInjectAll

Bootloaders
Clover UEFI Boot Mode

Customize
Graphics Configuration - Intel HD 6xx
SSDT Options - None
System Definitions - iMac 18,3

This has been a bad decision. Now I haven't got sound, none of the USB ports is working and the screen is flickering a lot (Dell UP2715K here, so 5K available with a discrete GPU but only 4K with the 630 graphics, good for me at the moment).

I wonder if I should reinstall everything again and don't run MultiBeast. Tips to solve these issues?

Thanks!
Everything that matters for me (BT/WiFi isn't, but Ethernet is all I needed) is working well right now. I reinstalled everything from the very beginning with the GTX 1070 connected and after trying a few things (not exactly sure now what I did, ha!) I've got my Hackintosh build running at 5K with DP video/audio working flawlessly. Awesome!

@erik @javipas Did you guys use MultiBeast afterwards? I did the same thing as @javipas did when he talked about MultiBeast and I've got the same issues. Do I go straight into Clover, or do I run MultiBeast without any customizations; only for the bootloader?
Still new to hackintoshing, if anyone can give tips, or maybe possibly explain what they've done step-by-step to make their build successful would be super!
Thanks!

First off, this is my first post and first Hackintosh as gave up many times, but liked the look of the OP build and thought what the heck.

Anyway, for those peeps who find this build and can't work out the UniBeast instructions, I'll just add that the following worked for me. However, I want to say that the following could be so the wrong way of doing it. However, I work on the premise that I won't let software beat me before asking for help. So, after after 6 or so attempts, it's up and running with just a couple of little tweaks to be done.

Again, I'm not offering advice just what worked for me.
  • I created USB via UniBeast instructions as found on this site.
  • I mounted the EFI partition of this USB installer using EFI Mounter V3.
  • I copied just the config.plist from the OP Folder to the Clover folder on the USB stick (overwriting) (now i did try copying the whole folder across but for some reason it would hang at like 90 percent on install, but just the plist goes through)
  • The PC booted the Clover boot option screen, and I clicked the install macOS option
  • After about 10 minutes, I get to the Apple install screen (as I had new NVMe drive I used disk utility to format the drive)
  • I started the Apple install process, and it reboots several times when it does in clover screen choose install from (name of the formatted drive you gave it, not the USB)
  • Once install finishes (takes a while), I was presented with the macOS setup screen. This is where I noticed not everything was okay as the screen refreshed in an odd manner, any way complete the setup (apparently due to 4k monitor / 18.2 profile if you are not using a 4k monitor you may not experience this graphic issue)
  • In macOS I copied across EFI Mounter V3, MultiBeast and Clover Configurator
  • First, I mounted the Hard Drive EFI partition using EFI Mounter V3
  • Then, I copied the whole contents of the OP folder into the corresponding folder in the EFI partition (overwrite all)
This part is only required if you have the graphic glitches as mentioned earlier in this post, which for some reason is caused by resolutions above 1080p in some cases
  • Open Clover Configurator
  • Load your config.plist from the hard drives efi partition
  • Click on SMBIOS tab, and on the right hand side you will see either a magic wand or an arrow pointing up and down, click on this and set to 18.1
  • Once it's isaved, restart the system
You should now have a stable desktop.

I noticed the Memory speed was reading wrong in all applications. So, I made the following change:
  • Mounted EFI partition again
  • Opened Clover Configurator
  • There is a section that has an option to read XMP data. NOW, before you change this, have a backup ready as i understand sometimes this can cause stability issues. However, I have not faced any yet. I set it from NO to the first option Yes.
  • Saved the file and rebooted. macOS and all apps like Geekbench, etc., now report the memory at 2666mhz fine.
The CPU was also showing as unknown. This was purely cosmetic. So, I searched for unknown CPU hackintosh and the guides explain in easy steps how that's done.

Again, this was just a way that worked for me. The veterans on here may say silly boy but that's cool. Its how I learn so and constructive criticism is very welcome.

Currently, I have reach scores similar to the OP, but slightly lower. However, I'm not fussing over that. Turbo boost is working fine, and temp power ranges are great. (I built mine in a slightly larger inwin case, still small just not as small as the OP.)

****Anyway, HDMI audio is not showing for me. But, I use USB speakers so that's not something I'm worried about.

I went with the ASUS Bluetooth dongle for now which for 90% of the time is fine.

****Only thing I would like to work out is if I can get 100Hz refresh rate for my cf791 monitor. My MacBook Pro 2016 outputs the full res as 100Hz. But the only option on this system is 50Hz. So I will tinker with that once I have cloned it!

If this helps steer newbies to even be 1 step closer than great, and apologies again if its the total wrong way of doing it lol.

Thanks to the OP for providing the original folder and listing the specs so others can enjoy!

***Edited to remove the use of multibeast and switch to clover configurator to make smbios change

**** Updated kexts and HDMI Audio is now visible, Displayport works and gives 100hz output (although system hangs if both DP and HDMI are connected at the same time. Only thing now is since updating kexts, apple mouse will connect but not work.

Edit - Updated Clover Bootloader, removed intelfixup and shiki kext and replaced with whatevergreen kext, mouse seems to connect fine now and that issues has lessened, sleep no longer works (black screen) but gives me something else to track down. Also some reason when powering on from cold, get black screen (no asrock logo either) so something in bios is funky as i have to power off immediately and restar and it boots to clover fine.

Edit Sept 1 - Set PluginType to true in Acpi and deleted ssdt.aml from OP ACPT-Patched folder as not required, CPU ramps up and down as it should normally

Last edited:
All the parts (same as your build) were assembled correctly on a wooden bench and myself grounded to an outlet ground screw.
The is my 5th build which were all Gigabyte MB’s, all successful.
I am connected to a LG monitor via HDMI. (I tried both slots)
I am using a Microsoft BT mouse and keyboard with the Microsoft BT dongle.
I am trying to boot from a USB 3 Unibeast 7.1 Sierra or a Windows 7 install USB.
The screen stays dark and says "No Signal"and the board seems to be cycling, the CPU fan slows and speeds up.
I tried holding the Delete key while booting, and the F12 key. (not together)
I’ve checked and double checked all the connections.
This is my second board. I returned the first on because it acted the same way and I thought it was defective.
I don't think I could get 2 defective boards in a row.
Any suggestions?

All the parts (same as your build) were assembled correctly on a wooden bench and myself grounded to an outlet ground screw.
I am trying to boot from a USB 3 Unibeast 7.1 Sierra or a Windows 7 install USB.
The screen stays dark and says "No Signal"and the board seems to be cycling, the CPU fan slows and speeds up.
This is my second board. I returned the first on because it acted the same way and I thought it was defective.
Any suggestions?

Not an expert on this particular topic, but I'll try to help nonetheless
Firstly, were you anyhow successful in installing an OS? If not, (hate to doubt you on this), are you positive that all connections are correctly assembled?
It could also be your monitor. Have you tried another one, just in case? Though not the same build, I've had different desktop PCs that wouldn't transmit the boot up/BIOS visuals to the monitor (unsure why though)
This might not be a problem, but when I try to boot to BIOS, I would spam the button instead of holding it. Have you tried that, and did you get any luck in getting something to show up?

I doubt it's a defective board...you can't be that unlucky.
Hope this helps in some way.

I am trying to boot from a USB 3 Unibeast
During software installation, USB3.x devices work correctly only when connected to one of the two frontpanel USB connectors. They are the ones with maximum compatibility. If you cannot use the frontpanel USB connectors for whatever reason, then you have to use a USB2 device.

Any suggestions?

I guess I wasn't burning on all thrusters.
I failed to plug in the CPU power connector!

I have the same exact build as Eric, same WiFi/BT card.
I had some problems installing HiSierra but finally got a booting computer with several problems.

I installed RehabMan/OS-X-USB-Inject-All, all 3 kexts, but I still have 6 dead USB 3.1 ports in back. The USB 2 ports work as well as the two in the front.

In Clover settings, under Devices I have checked inject USB and fix ownership. Under Acpi I have checked USB.

I also have problems with the display, the finder windows break up, ghost and jitter when select them.
I read one post where you suggested to increase the video ram. Where would I do this? I cannot find a setting in the BIOS for it.

The Bluetooth and wifi do not work, but I am assuming that it has something to do with no power to the USB 3.1 ports.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Just for info

Done a test run with Mojave on an external ssd (fresh install - High Sierra EFS folder copied) and everything worked out of the box. Then did an upgrade install using the same installer on the main NVMe drive, and, again, everything is working as it should.

EDIT

Actually everything was okay but sleep. When waking, it woke from reboot. So did a fresh install on the NVMe and sleep is working fine.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back