Contribute
Register

erik's "Tiny But Mighty" HTPC: ASRock Z370M-ITX/ac - i5-8400 - UHD 630 Graphics - High Sierra

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you Erik, since i have similar build (yes, indeed without dedicated GPU as well), i copied everything and it worked great. igpu worked quite bad :(

my build:

z370m itx ac
i3 8100

If you read my post all the way through, you’ll see that I tried an i3-8100, and you get no graphics acceleration. Unrelated to Lilu or Kexts. I upgraded to a i5-8400 because the iGPU works. The i3 and i5/i7 iGPUs have different device IDs (3e91 vs 3e92, 3e92 works, 3e91 doesn’t.)

If you read my post all the way through, you’ll see that I tried an i3-8100, and you get no graphics acceleration. Unrelated to Lilu or Kexts. I upgraded to a i5-8400 because the iGPU works. The i3 and i5/i7 iGPUs have different device IDs (3e91 vs 3e92, 3e92 works, 3e91 doesn’t.)

Yes, I saw it. That's was not my problem actually. I know it would work glitchy as you have mentioned. (I had to buy i3-8100, since i5 prices were inflated too much.) The problem I had hanging with both was all the kexts loaded. Now I use it with
-facesmc.kext
-applealc.kext
-intelMAUSI.kext

Well, it works. :) I don't know really what the other kext files are for. (Yes, my first time :)).

Lilu should work. Did you try latest version? One at a time, and then with IntelGraphicsFixup?

I tried again, I could boot with all the kexts except Lilu.kext. I"ve downloaded latest lilu as well (1.2.1)

IntelGraphicsFixup works, FakeSMC sensor kexts as well

edit: strangely no sound also.

Last edited:
I tried again, I could boot with all the kexts except Lilu.kext. I"ve downloaded latest lilu as well (1.2.1)

IntelGraphicsFixup works, FakeSMC sensor kexts as well

edit: strangely no sound also.

Interesting. I’m trying to think of what is different in my build from yours. Same board. I switched out the Wifi card but I doubt that would matter. Neither of us are using external graphics cards.

Are you using the same config.plist I attached? What about the Drivers64UEFI folder? That may cause issues booting.

Sound will not work without LILU. The AppleALC kext depends on it. So it’s likely not strange.

Do you boot with -v? Where does it get caught up?

Interesting. I’m trying to think of what is different in my build from yours. Same board. I switched out the Wifi card but I doubt that would matter. Neither of us are using external graphics cards.

Are you using the same config.plist I attached? What about the Drivers64UEFI folder? That may cause issues booting.

Sound will not work without LILU. The AppleALC kext depends on it. So it’s likely not strange.

Do you boot with -v? Where does it get caught up?

Thank you for your reply, when I'll have time I'll try from the beginning and reinstall again. I have copied everything from your EFI folder, maybe I did something wrong or High Sierra I have downloaded is bit different. It actually worked well in first few boots.

I can not see any error in -v mode, because it hangs after -v mode log screen, in the mid way of boot screen with apple logo (for this reason I cannot tell where it hangs), I've tried also tried to boot with "do not reboot on kernel panic"... I'll try again, i'll try to install with HFS+ instead of APFS (avoiding it seemed very tricky for me, but now i'll try before i shell out few bucks for 1030 :) )

(Sorry I'm new here, so I don't know etiquette here about posting a image)

Untitled.jpeg

Attachments

• SS_.jpeg
    SS_.jpeg
    243.3 KB · Views: 266
Yes, I saw it. That's was not my problem actually. I know it would work glitchy as you have mentioned. (I had to buy i3-8100, since i5 prices were inflated too much.) The problem I had hanging with both was all the kexts loaded. Now I use it with
-facesmc.kext
-applealc.kext
-intelMAUSI.kext

Well, it works. :) I don't know really what the other kext files are for. (Yes, my first time :)).

I think it actually is your problem. I had the i3 at first as well, but acceleration doesn't work. I got the screen to boot in 4K resolution, but still without acceleration. Adding kext like lilu will not help.

Adding a GT 1030 didn't work either, couldn't get it to run ...

i3 = no go, i5-8400 = go

I think it actually is your problem. I had the i3 at first as well, but acceleration doesn't work. I got the screen to boot in 4K resolution, but still without acceleration. Adding kext like lilu will not help.

Adding a GT 1030 didn't work either, couldn't get it to run ...

i3 = no go, i5-8400 = go

I can not send it back and i5 prices are still jacked up here :( bummer that 1030 didn’t worked as well.

I can not send it back and i5 prices are still jacked up here :( bummer that 1030 didn’t worked as well.

Yeah, agree .. I got the i3 on a great deal, € 89,00!!! but alas, had to send it back ...
The i5 was only slightly jacked-up over here and since I sold an older system for quite a nice price a had a bit of room for it .. € 212,50 ... still not bad for a 6-core and I'm happy with it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back