Contribute
Register

erik's "Tiny But Mighty" HTPC: ASRock Z370M-ITX/ac - i5-8400 - UHD 630 Graphics - High Sierra

I am trying to boot from a USB 3 Unibeast
During software installation, USB3.x devices work correctly only when connected to one of the two frontpanel USB connectors. They are the ones with maximum compatibility. If you cannot use the frontpanel USB connectors for whatever reason, then you have to use a USB2 device.

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H
CPU
i7 > need model # > See Rules!
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
All the parts (same as your build) were assembled correctly on a wooden bench and myself grounded to an outlet ground screw.
The is my 5th build which were all Gigabyte MB’s, all successful.
I am connected to a LG monitor via HDMI. (I tried both slots)
I am using a Microsoft BT mouse and keyboard with the Microsoft BT dongle.
I am trying to boot from a USB 3 Unibeast 7.1 Sierra or a Windows 7 install USB.
The screen stays dark and says "No Signal"and the board seems to be cycling, the CPU fan slows and speeds up.
I tried holding the Delete key while booting, and the F12 key. (not together)
I’ve checked and double checked all the connections.
This is my second board. I returned the first on because it acted the same way and I thought it was defective.
I don't think I could get 2 defective boards in a row.
Any suggestions?

I guess I wasn't burning on all thrusters.
I failed to plug in the CPU power connector!

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H
CPU
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I have the same exact build as Eric, same WiFi/BT card.
I had some problems installing HiSierra but finally got a booting computer with several problems.

I installed RehabMan/OS-X-USB-Inject-All, all 3 kexts, but I still have 6 dead USB 3.1 ports in back. The USB 2 ports work as well as the two in the front.

In Clover settings, under Devices I have checked inject USB and fix ownership. Under Acpi I have checked USB.

I also have problems with the display, the finder windows break up, ghost and jitter when select them.
I read one post where you suggested to increase the video ram. Where would I do this? I cannot find a setting in the BIOS for it.

The Bluetooth and wifi do not work, but I am assuming that it has something to do with no power to the USB 3.1 ports.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H
CPU
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Last edited:
Motherboard
Asrock Z370M ITX/AC
CPU
i5-8400
Graphics
UHD 630
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Just for info

Done a test run with Mojave on an external ssd (fresh install - High Sierra EFS folder copied) and everything worked out of the box. Then did an upgrade install using the same installer on the main NVMe drive, and, again, everything is working as it should.

EDIT

Actually everything was okay but sleep. When waking, it woke from reboot. So did a fresh install on the NVMe and sleep is working fine.

Last edited:
Motherboard
ASRock Z370M-ITX/ac
CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
UHD 630 + RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
Would you mind making a guide? I'm struggling with mine, most of the hardware is thesame except for Wifi/BT (using BCM94360CS2 from Macbook Air + adapter). Everything works perfect with High Sierra, but with this I can't get it to gracefully work for Mojave

If I set to iMac18,1 SMBios it won't get to login screen (No Signal monitor). If I set it to iMac18,3 it flickers/artifacts. If I set it to iMac 18,3 it works (but i think this is invalid as there is a space in between iMac and 18,3 and it says iMac 27-inch Late 2012 in About This Mac) but the problem is bluetooth can't be detected because USB is F'd up, and sound isn't working. Would appreciate any advice.

Would you mind making a guide? I'm struggling with mine, most of the hardware is thesame except for Wifi/BT (using BCM94360CS2 from Macbook Air + adapter). Everything works perfect with High Sierra, but with this I can't get it to gracefully work for Mojave

If I set to iMac18,1 SMBios it won't get to login screen (No Signal monitor). If I set it to iMac18,3 it flickers/artifacts. If I set it to iMac 18,3 it works (but i think this is invalid as there is a space in between iMac and 18,3 and it says iMac 27-inch Late 2012 in About This Mac) but the problem is bluetooth can't be detected because USB is F'd up, and sound isn't working. Would appreciate any advice.
set 17.1 mac

Motherboard
ASRock Z370M-ITX/ac
CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
UHD 630 + RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
Thank you :) iMac17,1 works well except for sound. Will continue to look around.

Motherboard
Asrock Z370M ITX/AC
CPU
i5-8400
Graphics
UHD 630
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
18.1 is the one that works for mine, any above that and i get bad graphics. I dont use bluetooth or wifi on mine anymore (bluetooth with the usb400 by asus) was flakey so went back to wired mouse which works fine for myself (same on high sierra)

I did the upgrade which to be fair seemed okay at first but had sleep issues, so i just created the mojave installer following the guide for beta creation (have to change the app name obviously in terminal so reflect the release version but the guide works fine)

Then just copied across my high sierra efs folder to usb. Fresh install flew by without issue.

I am going to check some usb things tomorrow though as alot of the usb 3 ports are disabled in the ssdt (original one used from first post) so going to redo that tomoz otherwise USB works fine, hd audio works fine, hdmi and usb audio is working good.

Only thing i cant get working all of a sudden is Displayport, but was having that issue in HS and think thats down to whatevergreen.kext as was working fine (even swapped MB + cable with Amazon but no difference)

Motherboard
Asrock Z370M-ITX/ac
CPU
i7-8700
Graphics
UHD 630
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 128K
  2. iMac
  3. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
Hi everyone, I need a quick advice.

I’m building my first Hackintosh with the same mobo, and I just need to select a WLAN card. I saw erik used BCM94352Z and this is reported "compatible" with configuration. But I found in the Broadcom WiFi/Bluetooth guide that the BCM94350ZAE had “native” compatibility, and it’s two times cheaper than the BCM94342Z ones.
Do you think it will fit? Do you think it will work? Connectors between the two are different: the BCM94350ZAE has one more indent at the bottom.

Thanks!