Graphics
GTX 670
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
This is me reaching out to the tonymac community in desperate need. I am a first time builder who sought out to built a hackintosh for the purposes of having a mean fighting machine as my studio computer. Specifically, running Pro Tools for recording audio projects and Adobe Premiere for editing videos.

The computer is running flawlessly (I've listed my hardware components below). Everything is very fast and the few times I have gotten Pro Tools up and running it works great. CS6 (Adobe Premiere) also works fine. HOWEVER, my ONE BLITHERING ISSUE is this iLok error that has absolutely ruined me. I've spent literally weeks chasing down trying procedures that other people have done only to find at the end of it that there problem was actually not the same as mine.

So really what I'm looking for is someone out there, hopefully who has a similar build to me and is knowledgable of hackintoshes and iLok/Pro Tools, to give me some back and forth with this problem so I can stab it in the heart once and for all. I know this post is long but I wanted to provide all info. So, here it is.

Hardware:
Gigabyte Intel Z77 Dual Thunderbolt ATX Motherboard with BT4.0/Wi-Fi (GA-Z77X-UP5-TH)
Intel Core i7-3770K Quad-Core Processor 3.5 GHz (overclocked to 4.2GHz from the BiOS)
16GB RAM of Ripjaw X series
EVGA GeForce GTX670 Graphics Card
Corsair Professional Series AX750 Watt Modular 80 PLUS Gold Power Supply
ASUS internal optical drive
Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD
SanDisk Extreme SSD 240 GB (this is my main drive with the OS)
And of course fans and coolant jelly and all that jazz to keep things running smoothly.

Symptom: iLok Sharing Error occurs at boot, sometimes causing freezing and requiring me to restart. If I wait to plug in the iLok until after boot then it will also occur. This error causes Pro Tools 10 to not open (bounces in dock and either freezes forever or may eventually reach an authorization error followed by a please insert iLok error). It also in the past caused wonkiness with the ILM (iLok License Manager) where it would either not open, or open but never sign in, or say I need to reinstall it, or all kinds of crap. But it seems to be mostly working now.

Here is the error verbatum:

"iLok Sharing Error
An iLok cannot be shared across multiple operating systems or computers. Disconnect and reconnect your iLok when switching to another OS/Computer."

Things I have already ruled out:
1. It is not a hardware issue with the iLok. the iLok works fine on my Macbook Pro and as well other friend's iLok's work on my Macbook Pro but not on my Hackintosh.

2. It is not a USB port connection error. I have 5 or 6 other USB devices plugged into the computer that all work correctly and I have tried the iLok in every port it still exhibits the same symptoms. The system report sees the iLok as being plugged in and the blue light is on but Pro Tools is not seeing it.

3. I thought maybe when it was talking about sharing OS's it was reading the iLok in the BiOS as it booted up and then again in OS X, so I waited till I was at my desktop to plug in the iLok but still got the same error.

Things I've tried:
Deleting and Reinstalling Pro Tools
Deleting and Reinstalling iLok License Manager and performing a sync/repair on the iLok
Wiping the SSD and reinstalling the entire OS and all programs from scratch.
Deleting iLok License Manager and installing a slightly older version.
Repairing disk permissions in all steps of these processes.

The extra obnoxious part of this issue is I have been able to find momentary fixes that are not repeatable. For example the first time I repaired disk permission on my SSD and rebooted I was able to get into Pro Tools and it worked for that time but as soon as I rebooted it was back to the usual issue. When I repaired disk permissions again it was no longer a fix. Then I deleted all files related to the iLok License Manager (including the PACE anti-piracy folder) in addition to uninstalling it using the uninstaller and installed again. This time it worked again and I was able to get into Pro Tools. Then when I shut down my computer and turned it on again once again I got the iLok Sharing Error and everything was F'd up again. When I tried to do the same uninstall reinstall magic, that was no longer a fix either.

So now I'm at a loss. iLok has no support line whatsoever, and even if they did when I told them I have a hackintosh I'm sure they would just hang up. I've tried going to the duc.avid forums but everyone just shouts "OH YA IT'S CUZ HACKINTOSH" without offering any real advice.

I will be checking this forum neurotically but you can also email me at [email protected]. I appreciate it so much.

Any ideas?

Hi jakedavis,

i have never used an iLok device before but here is a link i found on this forum

Just a heads up for anyone installing an ilok2 on their Hackintosh...What worked for me was after getting the OS to work before I installed any more software...

Download the most current version of ilok software @ www.ilok.com
Install the ilok driver first macextsx.dmg
Run Disk Utility > Repair Permissions
Install the client driver ilokclientmacx.dmg
Run Disk Utility > Repair Permissions
Restart Computer
Install Pro Tools, etc...

Hope this helps....:mrgreen:

FWIW, absolutely no iLok problems with my DAW build (see footer below). iLoks plugged into front panel USB ports on my CoolerMaster case (front panel USB ports connected to one of the mobo's USB headers).

First thing I did before installing ProTools or any of my iLok-enabled plugs like MachFive, Waves, etc. was going out to iLok & download latest/greatest drivers & install. Then logged into my iLok account - bingo! Success! It sees both my 2nd gen iLok (PT9/PT10) and 1st gen iLok (Waves, MachFive). Also FWIW, no issues with my auth key for Steinberg stuff, either.

Glad to hear you got it resolved, none the less! :headbang:

Hello,
I have in a way that kind of problem. I booted PT10 on iLok1 lightning fast and as soon I moved on ilok2 it takes about 3-5 minutes till I see the ProTools Start Page.
Try to repair the iLok with iLok manager. Turn WiFi and Internet off. Make sure iLok is in a USB 2 Port. I think it is a problem with certain USB ports and MOBOS. On a MacPro my ilok boot PT10hd with no problem. I had already conversation with ilok and Avid but nobody knows what can cause our trouble.

This is me reaching out to the tonymac community in desperate need. I am a first time builder who sought out to built a hackintosh for the purposes of having a mean fighting machine as my studio computer. Specifically, running Pro Tools for recording audio projects and Adobe Premiere for editing videos.

The computer is running flawlessly (I've listed my hardware components below). Everything is very fast and the few times I have gotten Pro Tools up and running it works great. CS6 (Adobe Premiere) also works fine. HOWEVER, my ONE BLITHERING ISSUE is this iLok error that has absolutely ruined me. I've spent literally weeks chasing down trying procedures that other people have done only to find at the end of it that there problem was actually not the same as mine.

So really what I'm looking for is someone out there, hopefully who has a similar build to me and is knowledgable of hackintoshes and iLok/Pro Tools, to give me some back and forth with this problem so I can stab it in the heart once and for all. I know this post is long but I wanted to provide all info. So, here it is.

Hardware:
Gigabyte Intel Z77 Dual Thunderbolt ATX Motherboard with BT4.0/Wi-Fi (GA-Z77X-UP5-TH)
Intel Core i7-3770K Quad-Core Processor 3.5 GHz (overclocked to 4.2GHz from the BiOS)
16GB RAM of Ripjaw X series
EVGA GeForce GTX670 Graphics Card
Corsair Professional Series AX750 Watt Modular 80 PLUS Gold Power Supply
ASUS internal optical drive
Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD
SanDisk Extreme SSD 240 GB (this is my main drive with the OS)
And of course fans and coolant jelly and all that jazz to keep things running smoothly.

Symptom: iLok Sharing Error occurs at boot, sometimes causing freezing and requiring me to restart. If I wait to plug in the iLok until after boot then it will also occur. This error causes Pro Tools 10 to not open (bounces in dock and either freezes forever or may eventually reach an authorization error followed by a please insert iLok error). It also in the past caused wonkiness with the ILM (iLok License Manager) where it would either not open, or open but never sign in, or say I need to reinstall it, or all kinds of crap. But it seems to be mostly working now.

Here is the error verbatum:

"iLok Sharing Error
An iLok cannot be shared across multiple operating systems or computers. Disconnect and reconnect your iLok when switching to another OS/Computer."

Things I have already ruled out:
1. It is not a hardware issue with the iLok. the iLok works fine on my Macbook Pro and as well other friend's iLok's work on my Macbook Pro but not on my Hackintosh.

2. It is not a USB port connection error. I have 5 or 6 other USB devices plugged into the computer that all work correctly and I have tried the iLok in every port it still exhibits the same symptoms. The system report sees the iLok as being plugged in and the blue light is on but Pro Tools is not seeing it.

3. I thought maybe when it was talking about sharing OS's it was reading the iLok in the BiOS as it booted up and then again in OS X, so I waited till I was at my desktop to plug in the iLok but still got the same error.

Things I've tried:
Deleting and Reinstalling Pro Tools
Deleting and Reinstalling iLok License Manager and performing a sync/repair on the iLok
Wiping the SSD and reinstalling the entire OS and all programs from scratch.
Deleting iLok License Manager and installing a slightly older version.
Repairing disk permissions in all steps of these processes.

The extra obnoxious part of this issue is I have been able to find momentary fixes that are not repeatable. For example the first time I repaired disk permission on my SSD and rebooted I was able to get into Pro Tools and it worked for that time but as soon as I rebooted it was back to the usual issue. When I repaired disk permissions again it was no longer a fix. Then I deleted all files related to the iLok License Manager (including the PACE anti-piracy folder) in addition to uninstalling it using the uninstaller and installed again. This time it worked again and I was able to get into Pro Tools. Then when I shut down my computer and turned it on again once again I got the iLok Sharing Error and everything was F'd up again. When I tried to do the same uninstall reinstall magic, that was no longer a fix either.

So now I'm at a loss. iLok has no support line whatsoever, and even if they did when I told them I have a hackintosh I'm sure they would just hang up. I've tried going to the duc.avid forums but everyone just shouts "OH YA IT'S CUZ HACKINTOSH" without offering any real advice.

I will be checking this forum neurotically but you can also email me at [email protected]. I appreciate it so much.

Any ideas?
did you ever solve this, I'm in a very similar position after having fought through loads of tough issues already... I'm hoping this is the last hurdle.

edit. this was because I was working on virtual. I backtracked and used unibeast, ilok is fully operational

Last edited:
My iLoks work fine on all 3 hacks I have access to(and real macs, of course). Zero problems. Are you sure you are using the latest/right software from Pace?
Do an uninstall/reinstall of the iLok software.

I am running PT 2018 with the latest iLock without issue with an equivalent configuration. I do seem to recall having that issue once when doing an initial install of PT but it went away after defaulting to all the init questions.

It appears to me you've done pretty much all the obvious stuff, especially regarding de/reinstall.

I'm thinking this may be related to some communication to the iLock server.

You might try an application called little snitch which monitors application-specific traffic. With that app you can control what gets sent.

Alternatively, I believe Avid has an alternative to using iLocks completely. I believe it’s a licensing option.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back